Discuss Eicr's in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all,
I'm reading up for 2395, when doing EICR'S and IR tests, when removing neons, lamps and sensitive equipment are things like electric showers, water heaters ect classed as sensitive. Do most people remove all these items or prefer to connect L+N together and test to earth at 250V.
Thanks.

so many appliances now contain electronics, i always link L to N and IR from there to E. i only would IR L-N if certain that nothing was in circuit or on new installs.

so many appliances now contain electronics, i always link L to N and IR from there to E. i only would IR L-N if certain that nothing was in circuit or on new installs.

Nah, give it a quick blip at 1,000V first, fry everything then full up with the 500V test for the cert -- reading are always then spot on!

Just make sure you get your cash and are out of the house before the customer starts using any appliances ......

readings should be the same. a 250V test might not show up a potential problem as well as at 500V though.

Sorry if I'm being a a numpty (picked that up from the forum) but why test LN to E at 250v and not 500v??? I'm old school so be gentle

Sorry if I'm being a a numpty (picked that up from the forum) but why test LN to E at 250v and not 500v??? I'm old school so be gentle

My default IR test on EICRs is 500V from L+N to E. Most equipment, with the exception of surge suppression components to earth, will cope with this without damage. I've not killed anything yet this way (as far as I know).

L-N to E 250V seems like a sensable start! If the reading shows Ok then procede to 500V! Saves frying any electonic component.

I don't know the scientific answer, it might just be an Urban myth!:sultan:

if i test using the L-N to E method, i write on the limitations "Insulation resistance testing has been carried out to regulation 612.3.3 where it was impractical to disconnect load(s).

You shouldn't be writing anything in the limitations box like that, this is for limitation of testing, e,g you cannot isolate a part of the installation. When you test correctly like you have, then don't put it in the limitations. It doesn't matter which IR test method you use, they are both acceptable, so you don't need to explain your reasons why.

Cheers…………….Howard

In the limitation for testing I put: Where lamps, neon lights and/or equipment with electronic sensitive components cannot be disconnected, carry out insulation resistance test between line & neutral connected together and earth at 250 Volts.

Reply to Eicr's in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net