• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Electrical Installation Condition Reports in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi all,

New to this forum and just wanted to see if anyone has heard of EICR'S becoming mandotory in England.

As we know they are only a recommendation (Which I'm sure we all don't agree with)

A friend of mine went to a tech talk by NIC/EIC this week and they were talking about it becoming law for all rental properties to have this done,

Thanks
Adnan

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
if it becomes law, that will only feed the drive by testers. eicr for £50 just to give landlords a cheap tick box that's worth jack shyte.

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
This would be a daft mistake ......... and then a race to the bottom for worthless bits of paper ......................

The NICEIC are part of the problem ........... unless such organisations educate the public about what is required, and how long they may take, and therefore expected costs then nobody wins

Just saying

I do agree with the fact the the public need to be educated in this matter,

I do a lot of EICR'S on behalf of a housing trusts and a few landlords, The amount of time I go in and the customer say how long are you going to be.

They are suprised when you tell them how long you will be and what it consists of.

Strima

Electrician's Arms
I've also heard of EICRs becoming mandatory for rentals, and as above it is open to abuse...

JOURNEYMAN

Regular EF Member
Who will be allowed to carry out any EICR's ? Approved contractors only or anyone with C & G 2391 or equivalent plus several years proven experience?

'mr2'gd4u

Regular EF Member
Why did I spend all that ££££ when I could have just did what they did!! Lol

Edit: and of course time!!

As Murdoch said,

The public needs to be educated....

Spot on there,

Otherwise they will get a £50 or a £100 EICR done within an hour

It won't be worth anything but the landlords will be complying

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
I might have some "fun" at Elex, Sandown Park and ask all the schemes how long an EICR could take on a house ..... be interesting to hear what they say..............

In a previous conversation with NIC/EIC I was talking to an assessor,We was talking about contractors doing 5 tests a day for housing trusts.
He actually said 2 a day max, 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon

PEG

Respected Member
Hi all,

New to this forum and just wanted to see if anyone has heard of EICR'S becoming mandotory in England.

As we know they are only a recommendation (Which I'm sure we all don't agree with)

A friend of mine went to a tech talk by NIC/EIC this week and they were talking about it becoming law for all rental properties to have this done,

Thanks
Adnan
Is this like "A friend of mine has a STD..." ;););)

Hi bud,only messin'... i cannot think of anything more infuriating,than sitting through one of these self-serving,collection of the hopeful and converted...and being the one to put their hand up,ask the stinging question,and get told to "come and have a chat with us,afterwards..."

Mostly,these tech-talks,or whatever blurb they call them this week,are focused on mission pushing,sales and PR. They are an extended,scripted advert,and have neither the time or inclination,to include dissection of even mildly troubling topics.

On the several occasions i have been the poorly cat,every effort was made,to shut down,and re-start the advert...

The above may seem odd,but a good friend who works in this type of job,in the BBC,explained how these things work,by explaining how the filming of a furniture advert,with a happy family plus pets,would fail,if the cat curled one out,on the fancy sofa...:rolleyes:

catdog

Regular EF Member
Mandatory in Scotland already for rental properties......so you would hope it would slowly come into place for the rest of the uk. I know there will always be 'driveby' testers but in large it's bound to help there overall safety of rental properties.....maybe.....;). The problem is how many people are caught up with after issuing bad and clearly fake test sheets.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.