Discuss Emergency Lighting Design? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Whats the purpose of the emergency light? is it to light up dark areas in an event of an emergency or is it so show the way out (direction) in an event or both. Please discuss all the knowledge you may know about emergency lighting,

cheers

Erm i was led to believe that emergency lighting was to light up dark areas in a power failure to let people find their way out, thats why some have the running green man on the to show people the exit. Im no expert it was just an educated guess.

got a bit more information about it since I posted the thread,

Emergency Escape lighting
Escape Route Lighting
Standby lighting
open area lighting
High risk area

Have to be accounted for with the design I think,

This might be of some help

The reason for EM lighting
1, To enable a property to meet fire regulations
2, Ensures that fire fighting equipment / fire alarm & call points are easily visible in an escape route.
3, Denote all escape routes
4, provide illumination along escape routes

EM lights should be located at:
Any change in direction of an escape route
Outside all final emergency exits from building
Above firefighting eqipment
At intersections of corridoors
On stair ways to illuminate all steps
Above any non illuminating emergency exit signs
Any change of floor levels.

we deal with distric surveyors all the time at work doign fire alarms and they normally do the e light test on the same day as ours, as far as i can gather it does just seem to be escape routes that they light up mate. but thats not concreat thats just my experiacne of seeing the tests done so many times, escape routes and stairways, but obviously the stair way would be part of the escape route, as for the lighting up of fire fighting equipment, i dont think that is a regulation, but as this stuff is also sighted on an escape route normally i would guess its just coinsidence

Emergency lighting design can be a can of worms especially when you consider that there are differences between the European specs and BS, they have actually made allowances for us:p
Hopefully, if I work things right there should be a list next of all the regulations etc which have a bearing on the subject:-

Primary UK Legislation
1. The Fire Precautions in the Workplace Act 1997 – Further guidance is available in the HSE book “Fire Safety – an employers guide”
2. Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
3. The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992
4. Building Regulations Act 200 – Document B
5. The Cinematograph Act 1952
6. Health and Safety (Safety Signs and Signals) Regulations Act 1996
Other legislation dealing with premises licensed or registered for public assembly or residential purposes. e.g. Licensing Act, Local Government Miscellaneous Provisions Act, Theatres Act, Residential Homes Act etc. the guides for which all contain a requirement for emergency lighting.

Standards and Codes of Practice
BS 5266 Pt 1 1999 code of practice for the emergency lighting of premises other than cinemas and certain other specified premises used for entertainment.
CP1007 1955 Maintained lighting for cinemas
BS EN 60598-2-22 1999 specification for luminaires for emergency lighting
BS 5499 Pt 1 1990 specification for safety signs including fire safety signs
BS 5499 Pt 2 1990 Specification for self-luminous fire safety signs
BS 5499 Pt 3 1990 Specification for internally illuminated fire safety signs

If anybody is interested I can email a seventeen page emergency lighting design guide to them:cool:

Emergency lighting is cheap, no need whatsoever to haggle. Some councils/fire departments are more strict than others but on the scope of things it does not matter, the extra cost is negligble, provide loads, keep the coucil/fire dept happy.

Always: No natural light. Change of direction, exit stairs, change of floor level, toilets, exit doors...and rule of thumb, 1 per 10/2 metre in public areas. It really is common sense, the cost is ziltch. £20 quid per fitting and that's all.

I always state, guranteed emergency lighting will be passed, thus the client has no extra concerns. (some architects don't always realise, if using fancy fittings and the 'ugly' factor comes in, that their design will be not as plan...hey, I can convert any fitting to work in emergency mode, no problem but it costs. Most times if fancy stuff is used a compromise is met...but not always. I luv fancy stuff, that is where the money is at

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Emergency Lighting Design? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock