Discuss Feeding switches in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ABC1 the point here is,to quote BS 7671 134.1.4 and 526 electrical connections.If you were to crimp or solder your connection you could bury them.If you made a connection behind or in an enclosure ( Just like a switchbox and plate) then 526.5 would apply.Be wary of the N.I.C. as they tend to have their own set of definitions or interpretations of BS 7671.Their inspectors use their own guidelines and set their own pass criteria.
Be thankfull they're not the elite of the electrical world that they once were.Competition has forced them to to take a less authoritarian approach,and thus,slacken their credibility.

In all fairness,one of my customers,who owns 12 rental properties,won't beleive that any legislation imposed will effect the seller.The seller can lie about dates and repairs.Only the credibility of the buyers PIR would be under scrutiny and the sellers information is hard to guarantee pre HIP.He seems confident...lets see what will or won't happen!!

I wired my board for my PART P exam through the switch and connected up all the neutrals there - Had to take it all apart because it was bad practice and should have loop in and out of ceiling roses so there was no floating wires as they all went into a fixed connection. Tutor couldnt believe my tutor at another college had told me this was ok!!!! and said he wouldnt employ him if he taught poor practice.... Have seen neutrals connected with choc bloc this week on a new build and was suprised to see it? -Tutor also told me its harder to test and inspect aswell as fault find which is true allthough did it myself recently to save running another wire to lights (poor design on my behalf)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wired my board for my PART P exam through the switch and connected up all the neutrals there - Had to take it all apart because it was bad practice and should have loop in and out of ceiling roses so there was no floating wires as they all went into a fixed connection. Tutor couldnt believe my tutor at another college had told me this was ok!!!! and said he wouldnt employ him if he taught poor practice.... Have seen neutrals connected with choc bloc this week on a new build and was suprised to see it? -Tutor also told me its harder to test and inspect aswell as fault find which is true allthough did it myself recently to save running another wire to lights (poor design on my behalf)

what a load of -------s, **** all wrong with neatrals in the switch box, makes it EASIER for fault finding cos your not up and down step ladders all the time splitting your feeds out. if you connect your neatrals in good manner not leaving bare conductor showing and dress it in properly then it will sit there for years and not cause any problems, these dickheads really get on my ---- that say you cant do this cant do that. uck em i say

what a load of -------s, **** all wrong with neatrals in the switch box, makes it EASIER for fault finding cos your not up and down step ladders all the time splitting your feeds out. if you connect your neatrals in good manner not leaving bare conductor showing and dress it in properly then it will sit there for years and not cause any problems, these dickheads really get on my ---- that say you cant do this cant do that. uck em i say

Sparkyork, i agree with you, what rubbish do they teach at colleges, nowt wrong with neutrals behind a switch when terminated correctly, easier for testing and fault finding and better than a j.b. above ceiling when fitting fancy lights. dave :):)

Can see what u say about testing at switch is easier than at the rose!! - Can see what tutor means having all wires going to a fixed point. Gonna do whats easiest on the job in future. REF- tutors had 5 different ones this year all telling us we were doing something wrong we had been taught by another - does get frustrating to learn one way then forget it to learn it the next tutors 'right way'.....

Just done a rewire. Some lights had neutrals at the rose some at the switch depending on where they were. With a floating connection what can go wrong? Please can someone tell me as I can't think of anything. I'm not saying that I'm right I just can't see it. If the problem was vibration potentially loosening a screw connection surely it would be better to have a floating conn to lessen the effects of the vibration on the screw

I can't see any problems with floating neutrals in back of switch if terminated correctly......done it myself when installing spots.
Seem to me that most new light fittings don't allow for enough room for terminating the loop in/out method.:)

Looks like this is a personal preference or as the situation demands scenario. Perhaps we should be a bit more wary of just accepting "you can't do that , you have to do this" and understanding the reasons why?

Reply to Feeding switches in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock