Discuss Fire rated clips - any suggestions? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You can get cleats with inbuilt steel band or make one by looking all round band around normal cleat, all round band one it's own doesn't really look professional in my opinion.

And cables "slung" above suspended ceilings with little or no clipping....

BUT it would be useful if the BBB actually stated this!
Suspended ceilings rarely offer any level of fire protection unless they are certified and correctly constructed. Generally they are aesthetic with any fire protection above them in the void.

Suspended ceilings rarely offer any level of fire protection unless they are certified and correctly constructed. Generally they are aesthetic with any fire protection above them in the void.

I'm well aware of that and the often hideously poor installation methods used above them

Hence my comment!

Screwfix seem to be showing packs of fire-rated twin & earth clips, except they don't actually have any to buy yet:

https://www.screwflix..com/p/schnei...r-twin-earth-cable-1-2-5mm-silver-100pk/767gv
I saw these on the website, have asked the local wholesalers what price they can give on them (Kew electrical and denmans) will post the prices i get.

A standard plasterboard ceiling is 30min fire rating (from building regulations), this is considered by the "industry"as an acceptable duration.
This will be the advice that comes out from the "industry" bodies, all of them.
They will also agree and publish that plastic wall plugs are fine.

I don't know why it is taking so long for it to come out though!

Since in domestic very few cables will need to be supported beyond existing practice, I thought of using stainless steel strapping, cut a strip to the length required and hole punch for a fixing screw . Cheap and cheerful, just not practical timewise, despite the low cost, for a regularly used solution.

A standard plasterboard ceiling is 30min fire rating (from building regulations), this is considered by the "industry"as an acceptable duration.
This will be the advice that comes out from the "industry" bodies, all of them.
They will also agree and publish that plastic wall plugs are fine.

I don't know why it is taking so long for it to come out though!

The duration of standard plasterboard varies dependant on source although I could be persuaded that the regulation does not include cables within the fabric of the building.
The plastic plug fixing is where I disagree and would be interested in your sources for such info.. The BRE have done extensive testing and published their conclusion which is the advice the IET and many other bodies tend to follow, their conclusion for plastic plugs is they are not suitable so I find it strange that this advice will be ignored when it is safety critical.
https://electrical.------.org/media/1578/fire-performance-of-cable-supports.pdf

Yes, I would agree where a typical plasterboard ceiling is installed, not required. False tiled suspended ceilings or above stretch ceilings or any cable that is directly fitted to the ceiling would require metal restraints.
I think it is fair to say that if another building element has to come down before the wiring, then the wiring hasnt collapsed prematurely.
sums it up nicely.

The duration of standard plasterboard varies dependant on source although I could be persuaded that the regulation does not include cables within the fabric of the building.
The plastic plug fixing is where I disagree and would be interested in your sources for such info.. The BRE have done extensive testing and published their conclusion which is the advice the IET and many other bodies tend to follow, their conclusion for plastic plugs is they are not suitable so I find it strange that this advice will be ignored when it is safety critical.
https://electrical.------.org/media/1578/fire-performance-of-cable-supports.pdf

My sources are from JPEL64, JPEL64 panels, the WRPC, & the IET, the NICEIC, STROMA & NAPIT.
That report has been discussed by the above, as have the results, and BRE have been involved, and the consensus is that cables above a plasterboard ceiling do not require any additional support, as the plasterboard is deemed from Building Regulations to be a 30 minute fire barrier, unless it is incorrectly installed, but, they cannot allow for that, because it opens up a whole new can of worms.
The situation with plastic plugs has also been discussed between those above, and BRE, and it has been deemed that they will comply.
I have been told that there will be a statement on this shortly, it should have been out at the end of last year, but it has not surfaced yet, I don't know why.

Fair enough NetBP ... but I fail to see how they can accept plastic plugs as a means of fixing when they have been shown to fail repeatedly under test conditions, I agree and can see the argument with cabling within the structure but fail to see how they can ignore the results of the BRE on this matter given the BRE themselves conclude they are not sufficient, I will be interested in the exact wording of these bodies and if they do indeed fully accept the use to the plastic plugs with regards to the topic in discussion.

Q. Do contractors still have to use metal/fire resistant clips above fire proof plasterboard ceilings?

A.
  1. firstly let's look at new build, houses etc, all new builds have the cables run through the joists and or clipped to the joists before the plasterboard ceiling is erected so fully compliant if metal clips used.
  2. plasterboard gives up to 30 minutes protection from heat it is not Fire Proof.
  3. if you go to Siniat fireboard for example for the walls and install it correctly this gives up to 60 minutes of protection and weighs 31 Kg per sheet it is not fireproof.
  4. GTEC fire board square edge again can give you some protection but the manufacturer states; Fire resistance is determined from the ‘system’ being constructed. For example; a partition, lining or ceiling. When assessing fire resistance the supporting framework needs to be considered, as well as insulation, fixings and tracks etc. Plasterboard cannot be deemed to be rated by itself in all scenarios, regardless of application. all of the above Achieve Part B Building Regulations (Fire)
for openness and transparency, I became an electrician in 1973 and a chartered safety practitioner nearly 15 years ago. In June 2000 I was in a flat following a fire in which I suggested a clip that would fit into trunking to save lives that is now on sale with many more under the firefly cable clips brand. this is not a sales pitch and I will never put any links on here but with the level of experience and qualifications I have within electrical and safety, I would like to post updates to questions answered as above. If admin deems this to not be allowed then I will back off and just answer directly to the questioner?

Hi Malcolm. Your answer runs to many sentences but doesn't appear to actually give an answer!

With respect, it does seem your opinion will be biased, as you have very honestly admitted to not being impartial.

I am biased, I worked for Southampton City Council as an electrician for 12 years and worked in all of the tower blocks including Shirley Towers where 4 firefighters died. the above is from a longer answer given elsewhere and the info within comes from the plasterboard manufacturers.
My son in law is a firefighter and I have been involved with safety and especially fire for a very long time.
If the brigade has a ground floor fire and use hoses from above this will bring the plasterboard ceiling down and any firefighters passing through could be trapped by the falling cables. we have to look at this from all angles and one is how the fire brigade fight fires. Another area to consider is that at ceiling height we could have 800 degrees c and at ground level a few degrees above 100 with firefighters in breathing apparatus sweeping for injured persons.

I became an electrician after a five year apprenticeship starting in 1973 under the 14th edition of the regulations and have sat each of the upgrades since up to the 17th edition, this week I sat in on one of the one day courses for the 18th upgrade and this question was asked there and it was answered "of course the cables should be fixed "do you want to be responsible for injuring another fire fighter because of laziness"?

Sorry for all of the posts but I feel it is important that we use metal fixing everywhere and that is my personal and professional answer to any electricians that ask.
Plastic plugs deform at a very low temperature so by the time we get to a few hundred degrees c anything supported is starting to pull against the screw and the plug. we all know there are plenty of "concrete screws" we can use without plugs so again its simple changes that will inevitably save lives. Most wholesalers and SWA now have metal cleats and clips available for all sizes of cables so let's try them and see how we get on?

Interesting, and I agree in principle.

But, the regulations don't seem to support your view, or at best they are very vague. There is no guidance as to what would be a premature collapse. As Davesparks said above, most cables in ceiling voids will run through joists at regular intervals and will thus not sag if the ceiling collapsed. However those that run parallel to the joists may.

The biggest problem for most people is that unless this is vigorously enforced/checked you will be competing against many people who won't be using these methods above ceilings. What do we reckon the chances of the big house builders going down this road are!?

I also wonder how this would affect rewires. I wouldn't fancy pulling flooring up everywhere just to bang a clip in.

I know there are some available already, but they don't look convincing to me, but maybe a commercially viable way round this would be a well designed/manufactured staple for the likes of twin and earth. Shouldn't cost any time (will probably save) and shouldn't be too expensive once you have a stapler.

And here lies the problem, we need guidance as to what sort of support is needed above a plasterboard ceiling.

What is defined as premature collapse?

As has been pointed out above, what about rewires, are we to now fully lift floors above to clip cables in rather than fishing them through?

thanks for these answers they are really enlightening and hopefully the replies will help or at least spur conversations. A couple of points, no regulations can be enacted retrospectively so if you are adding a socket etc to a circuit which has already been installed you do not need to fix every other cable in the house with clips. secondly, a premature collapse is where the surface drops, prior to demolition (before the end of its life). where you are pulling through a T+E it would be expected that if you used clips at each end to support the cable and could not raise the floor easily then this would be acceptable if pulled tight. This has to be what safety professionals call "reasonably practicable" As a safety consultant I wanted the use of clips added to the NICEIC test and inspect sheets to confirm it has been completed, no mention of proving this anywhere. If anyone is interested I will do a short post on how the clips are tested etc this actually explains a lot about conditions in a fire.

Reply to Fire rated clips - any suggestions? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock