Discuss Floor sockets + Building Regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

if its an extension... sockets and switches can match the same height as existing fittings
Yes. That’s the point. And I had missed that it was an extension. Those socket heights only apply to new builds where all of the requirements of Part M come into play. Things like accessibility ramps, wider (wheelchair) doors for downstairs toilets, and much more.

@KevinH you can put the sockets etc to match the heights in the rest of the house, and in the floor for your problem locations.

You can download the Approved document here https://assets.publishing.service.g...BR_PDF_AD_M1_2015_with_2016_amendments_V3.pdf

This is the key point in the introduction
Floor sockets + Building Regs 4C726A19-8162-40BE-B4F3-57882327151F - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Nobody has mentioned the easiest 2 solutions:

Sink a couple of feet of uni-strut into the concrete floor and fasten a metal-clad socket to that.

Glue a standard back-box to the glass panel.

Install as planned then just write on minor works as a deviation from height regs, that way you've "followed" regs re certification and CYA'd by advising of the deviation on the paperwork

Install as planned then just write on minor works as a deviation from height regs, that way you've "followed" regs re certification and CYA'd by advising of the deviation on the paperwork
But it doesn't need noting as (in your scenario) it would be a deviation from Building Regs, not BS7671?

I've just had architect drawings for a new build in scotland and our sockets are supposed to be at 400mm. However it includes floor sockets for the property so clearly nobody else has an issue with it! I don't.

Doesn't BS7671 stipulate install heights and location as well as found in building regs?

Either way you're recording it somewhere relevant and covering your arse, that's how I do it but I'm still learning

BS7671 does not stipulate heights, only to say that sockets go in places where damage wont be caused to them by insertion of a plug.

That august publication, the OSG, mentions 450/1200mm heights of sockets etc, but states that these only apply to new builds. At least they got that right!

Reply to Floor sockets + Building Regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock