Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Fused switches multiple circuits in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

briars

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I have been challenged by an installer who has installed a 32A TPN fused switch and then ran 6 individual single phase spur units (each rated at 16amp) from the isolator fuse carriers ie used the fused switch as a sub-distribution board in a temporary 3 day exhibition type environment. I can't find anything in the regulations (BS7671:2008) which specifically states this is not recommended but I do feel this is very bad practice, what is other electricians view or is there something specific I can refer to in the Regulations

S

Shakey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well the fuse is the overcurrent protective device and also effectively the current limiting device, so its no diffenrence to unlimited sockets off a fused spur, except that they are all coming from the same point instead of a radial

I cant think of anything that specifially prohibits this

danzor

-
Mentor
Arms
exhibition work is so poor. I was told the regs aren't so strict on them, but don't quote me on that. Never looked it up

E

electro

briars
Reg 314.4 says where an installation comprises more than one final circuit, each final circuit shall be connected to a separate way in the distribution board, this will the same for your situation.

Regards

S

Shakey

briars
Reg 314.4 says where an installation comprises more than one final circuit, each final circuit shall be connected to a separate way in the distribution board, this will the same for your situation.

Regards
i see what you are saying, but are they seperate final circuits? Why would it be any different to say, a lighting circuit, where you could go from light to light, or equally two or three 'radials' from the same point? Or a ring main, where it is quite accpetable to take a spur dirctly from the breaker rather than a socket or JB?

E

electro

but the wiring should be electrically seperated the isolator is been used as dis board not a JB because of the use of the overcurrent device.

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to Fused switches multiple circuits in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
Top Bottom