Discuss Garage lighting 1 single pole to control all 3 and 1 sensor switch to control middle one in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello fellow electricians,

I am currently in the midst of wiring 3 lighting fixture at my friends garage. I'm just wondering if there's an easier way to do it or if the way I'm going to do it is going to break the sensor switch.

So the situation is this: I'm going to name the lighting fixtures A B C..I would like to have A B C turn on using a single pole switch.
I would also like to add a sensor switch just for fixture B. if i use the single pole to switch on A B C, would that screw up my sensor switch somehow? Thank you guys!

to turn on B with thr sensor, the sensor would need to be in parallel with the switch. as the switch turns on all 3 lights, then the sensor would turn on all 3. unles you use a 2 gang switch, 1 gang for A and C, and 1 gang for B. you coukd then pres both switches simultaneeously to manually switch on all 3.

get supply through a double pole FCU so you can isolate in case of a fault outside tripping RCD. (e.g. water ingress ).

Last edited:
Use a double pole switch - that's one switch with two sets of contacts, not a switch with two rockers. One pole switches A&C, the other switch B in parallel with the sensor. I'm not aware of any PIR sensor that would be damaged by this.
So L to supply side of both switch poles and the sensor, load side of one switch pole to A&C, switched output of sensor to load side of other switch pole and to B.
Switch on - A, B, and C will be lit. Switch off, B will be controlled by the sensor.

If you are constrained to use a specific switch and can't change it for a double pole one, then you could only do it with a relay.

Reply to Garage lighting 1 single pole to control all 3 and 1 sensor switch to control middle one in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net