Discuss good GS38 approved voltage tester in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I will speak to my tutor on Thursday evening as he says not, this needs clarifying as if he is wrong, he is teacher the wrong information. With regards to using a proving, below is the response I got from the NIC when asking them whether you can use the supply of the consumer unit as a known source for safe isolation procedure:

Thank you for contacting the NICEIC technical Helpdesk, in answer to your question, some voltage indicators have a self check facility, if you are using these there is no requirement for a proving unit (GS38), BUT if your indicator does not have a self check function, how would you confirm that the supply is dead, if you are working on an old installation with a possible dead supply entering the building (no live supply), your indicator will indicate no voltage, and this might be a blown fuse/faulty component within the indicator, giving the wrong indication and the resultant outcome could be fatal.

We have attached BPG 2 and GS38 for your information.

Regards

NICEIC Technical

When measuring Ze, R1+R2, polarity, etc, this is classed as testing procedures where the main fuse is allowed to be re-instated to power the consumer unit for testing purposes only. When removing the consumer unit front cover for the first time, the main fuse below must be taken out and isolated.

Wow - how things have changed. That used to be a dead test. Progress i guess ;)

Seriously tho, whilst i totally agree you need clarification on this point (& your tutor should be doing more to provide it) its often tickled me how some react to proving units. Am i still missing something? It appears the electrical contracting industry is split on this - mention such a contraption to some & they react like they`ve been asked to give a urine sample in the middle of Asda :confused: Why? Ask another & they`ll tell you they`ll use the live side of an incomer if they happen to have one on them :) if not then the P U sure as hell beats roaming around looking for one. & as said, up a ladder, nothing else but chance taking fits the bill.
I agree, they do seem OTT expensive but it potentially may save you or others from harm one day - so to me, whatever i paid for my Martindale pair was worth it.

Having to read some of the advise given to trainees by their tutors and scaremongering nonesense quoted of the NIC chap
Health and safety protocol has overtaken common sense to the point of frightening would be electricians from carrying out their trade safely

If the main switch is off,locked off,then cover removed,approved voltage tester used,correct procedure to prove live and prove dead,why mangle minds with this unhealthy crap

Reply to good GS38 approved voltage tester in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net