Good news!

Discuss Good news! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've been invited by Mr Betts' office to attend Parliament on the 6th to sit on the panel at the next committee meeting enquiring into the effectiveness of self certification schemes!

I hope Parliamentary privileges extend to me, I am known for being rather outspoken! :D

Last edited:
I think the point that is being missed here is that IF the Government wanted to ramp up qualification and safety levels then WHY has so much work been taken OUT of the notifiable category?

I definitely agree with this. It's getting to the point where staying registered is hardly worth the cost. I've done several jobs recently which would have had to have been notified last year, but not now. Bathroom downlights, electrically heated towel rails, kitchen extractor fan.

If you are an Electrician and been assessed as Competent, and there was a licensing system run by an independent organisation like Gas Safe is. Why would you need to be assessed each year, we have to do that because the Schemes make big money from it. Gas kills three time more people a year than electricity, but they are not assessed every year. For £186 a year the Gas guys get policing, on a regional basis, help lines, advertising etc, we pay £444 0r £408 for what?

How much do their gas tickets cost though?
Someone said something like £600-£800 with penalties if you renew them even a few days late...

It depends - or depended when I did it - how many modules you are qualified in.

The first one is is CCN-1 and covers pipework and gas safety and it's mandatory.

After that, you can bolt-on whatever module you choose - Gas Fires, Gas Cookers, Gas Tumble Dryers, Boilers etc. so if all you're ever going to be doing is Boilers then you need only train, be assessed and pay for two modules.

If you want the whole shebang, then you're looking at about £1k BUT that's only every five years. After that, of course you have your annual subscription to the Gas Safe club ..........

Any comments made by those attending criticising the current training and assessment schemes will indirectly be as you say slating the DI's standing in the industry as that is what is being discussed

The system that has trained you and assessed you is what is being questioned IMO, the knock on effect of any changes that raise the bar will ultimately affect you and a lot of others as I don't see any reason to grant any automatic grandfather rights to those whose basic qualifications do not meet any new requirements.

Any attempt to raise the qualification level will no doubt cause a furore from some if it were to happen but the quick training companies coupled with the scams whose acceptance criteria falls well below what could be considered as acceptable has created a mis-sold dream with the result potentially leaving a lot of people left to pick up the pieces should the bar be raised, it has already been mentioned that a grace period would be needed to allow those affected to improve their qualifications to meet any changes but this then creates an issue of what is a reasonable time with the .

This whole thing could run for years without decision and then there will no doubt be various legal challenges from those affected by any changes, then again nothing may change as we get nearer and nearer to the abyss

A TRADE comprises individuals who possess the knowledge, skills and aptitude to carry out work to a standard acceptable to their peers.

What the trade needs to decide is this :

What knowledge, skills and aptitude should an individual should possess BEFORE they are allowed to carry out electrical work in dwellings without close and direct supervision?

ANY references to NVQ's, C&G's or EAL etc will clearly indicate that the poster has failed to understand both the intention of such a simple question or the implications involved ....

It depends - or depended when I did it - how many modules you are qualified in.

The first one is is CCN-1 and covers pipework and gas safety and it's mandatory.

After that, you can bolt-on whatever module you choose - Gas Fires, Gas Cookers, Gas Tumble Dryers, Boilers etc. so if all you're ever going to be doing is Boilers then you need only train, be assessed and pay for two modules.

If you want the whole shebang, then you're looking at about £1k BUT that's only every five years. After that, of course you have your annual subscription to the Gas Safe club ..........

That's correct, but Electricity is much safer than Gas, so why does there need to be reassessment for every type of work for Electricians? The standards are set by the Schemes and the training industry, they all chose to allow 5day/ 3 week wonders etc, so where is their credibility or impartiality, in setting standards? To set the record straight on short course entrants, I believe there should be a route for senior entrants to Our Trade, but the dangerous short course route is not appropriate and misleads the public.

This point about being assessed each year and having to pay about £448 versus a far smaller amount NEEDS to be raised with Clive Betts etc all

The problem with Part P and the Schemes is that it is based around the financial model of the Electrical Safety Council, which is assessment obsessive. So why was Risk Based Assessment introduced in 2009 in the EAS standard never introduced? (Assessment every three years.)

Reply to Good news! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock