Discuss hallway light double switch to a triple so I can add an outside light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rmlong6

DIY
Reaction score
Afternoon

i have changed hallway light double switch to a triple so I can add an outside light.
i have wired first switch for hallway
second switch is for landing which works both ways upstairs and down
so both work as normal.

so I have a third switch I would like to use as outside light but can’t work out. How to power this so it works.

the third switch has com at bottom with L1 and L2 at top

how can I power this so it works please

Attachments

• F5CB1DFB-A6F0-4E9B-8B00-528479B67CEF.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 23
I assume there are no more black wires tucked into the back box which may be neutrals.

Reactions: DPG
There is no black cable in box.

the wires connected are for hallway and landing and I would like to power 3rd switch and connect the live and neutral so I can get outside light working but what I have tried does not work.

if that makes sense

You have no neutral at the switch they are all lives even the black one with red sleeving. As it stands it cannot be done.

Thanks for reply

is there anything I can do to make this work?

could I connect outside light to hallway switch ?

You only have live wires at the switch and without a neutral it will not function.

The other option is to replace the hallway switch cable with a 3 core & cpc to get a neutral from the light / junction box to the switch.

Reply to hallway light double switch to a triple so I can add an outside light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net