Currently reading:
Hot Tub Isolation

Discuss Hot Tub Isolation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chiplard

I am installing a separate supply for a hot tub for a customer and would like some advice on the positioning of the isolation switch.

Is there a maximum distance that the Isolation Switch can be from the hot tub?

The manufacturers have stated only a minimum distance of 2m.

just stick in an IP rated rotary isolator well away from the hot tub and make sure its labeled up as to what it isolates - oh and is it supplied via an RCD ?

Was just going to run some 1.5 from an old wylex rewireable board and isolate via a lightswitch!!!! :cowboy:

Aye, its a new separate RCD CU with 32A MCB into a IP65 Rotary Switch Isolator.

No maximum distance then?

NO not definitely necessary to TT, but if TN-C-S/PME then it may need a supplementary rod.
Perfectly acceptable and even preferable in some situations.
I can't say as I don't have all the facts here.

NO not definitely necessary to TT, but if TN-C-S/PME then it may need a supplementary rod.
Perfectly acceptable and even preferable in some situations.
I can't say as I don't have all the facts here.
i wouldnt like the idea of putting a rod in - possibly encouraging outside faults into my house and tub !

Well, it is a requirement of BS7671 in certain special locations check the regs.
Also, you would NOT be encouraging faults into your tub would you if done correctly.
Outside faults will still "come" into your house anyway if you have metallic services entering.
There is a bit more to this than is obvious, it takes a little understanding of several areas.

Just thinking practically a supplementary rod/rods does make the most sense. TT to my mind would be madness!
As to the isolation switch, as near as practical and within line of sight.

Reply to Hot Tub Isolation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back