Discuss how do you price your work? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I tend to work to the NHF schedule of rates as I do a lot of day to day maintenance for housing associations. However I am after a more detailed version of this document if anyone has one or something similar.

Good! Im not the only rogue trader here :p

only joking mr fisher.

but seriosly, potential clients read that kind of thing and then get a heart attack when they open my letter. I do warn them, "just make sure you're seated before you open the letter". Some laugh, some just look at me not amused. Ha ha. If I get the work, I get it. If not, then so be it.

Mr London i am the same if you get the work good if not.......... well you dont BUT all i can say is we "electricians" should not undersell ourselves.

We should charge a decent rate without having peoples pants down!!!

I totally agree with you mr fisher.

I just quoted for a rewire and a rewire and make good on the same property. I like to provide options for the customer. £8500 and £11500 respectively including materials, labour and VAT. A 3 floor 1960s house in Fulham. I thought that was reasonable. I worked it out again and again I just couldn't justify getting the quote anymore expensive. Other sparks in London would charge double what I did.

How the hell do they do it and get away with it?

parking, congestion charge (which doesn't effect some parts of Fulham) petrol and over heads. Bigger firms have bigger overheads hence bigger prices. :cool:

A quick one for you guys.

Any idea what would be the going rate for a periodic inspection on a student's cluster flat. ie: a flat were each student has there own bedroom (approx 8 to a flat) and they have 2 communal bathrooms, a large communal kitchen and a communal lounge area for everyone in the flat to share.

I have approx 100 to do, they are in Liverpool/Preston so that will be North of England prices.

Some guys use the number of circuits multiplied by going rate per circuit. £10 - £15 per circuit down here.

I don't use the 10% rule or anything similar, if you know its going to take you all day to inspect and test, then i'd charge a day rate plus a bit more cause its dirty student digs. Students would be living there now as the new academic year has started, so they'll probably be getting in the way, slowing you down, explaining to them not to plug anything in s/o with ir tests etc etc. I think you could charge a couple hundred per flat minimum.

Don't quote me and watch out for the gorgoeus blondes acting drunk, they're trouble ;).

Some guys use the number of circuits multiplied by going rate per circuit. £10 - £15 per circuit down here.

I don't use the 10% rule or anything similar, if you know its going to take you all day to inspect and test, then i'd charge a day rate plus a bit more cause its dirty student digs. Students would be living there now as the new academic year has started, so they'll probably be getting in the way, slowing you down, explaining to them not to plug anything in s/o with ir tests etc etc. I think you could charge a couple hundred per flat minimum.

Don't quote me and watch out for the gorgoeus blondes acting drunk, they're trouble ;).

The lads tell me all about them, some of the things that the caretakers say go on are unbelievable.

Thanks for the help, I was going to use the cost per circuit method anyway. I am trying to keep it as cheap as possible, as I can make good money doing the remdial works and by hopefuly picking up some of the other nationawide properties which they own.

Thanks for the help, I was going to use the cost per circuit method anyway. I am trying to keep it as cheap as possible, as I can make good money doing the remdial works and by hopefuly picking up some of the other nationawide properties which they own.[/quote]

Makes good business sense to me. Good luck with it, hope you get all the work.

Try working round where i live .:(
I recently priced up a 3 bed semi detached in a house i knew was built out of engineering brick with render coating for £1900.
It was for 2 cooker circuits,(40 amp for hob 20 amp for oven) 6 double skts in kit plus ext fan.
4 double skts in living room.
2 double skts in dining room.
2 double in each bed room.
skt in hall and landing.
skt in loft plus light.
kit/living/dining room /hall/landing on two way
outside socket front and back.
extract fan in bathroom.15 min over t with light.
tv point in each room plus amp.
A ll switch back boxes to be 25mm and skt back boxes in kit to be 35 mm (flat plate sockets to be fitted)
niceic test or napit test cert plus 2 year parts and labour warranty inc with first call out free.(unless it was a nail or some such reason.)
£1900 i hear you say - thats unbelievably cheep.
I did NOT get the job.
I was UNCOMPETITIVE the cheapest quote was for £1200.00
The only thing i can think of is that there are a lot of sparks doing work on the side . (unregistered and borrowing materials for the day job)
witch i can believe as i am getting call to price jobs where work has been done with no cert. And one which was so bad I refused to touch it and told him to call building control and trading standards.

Oh I think it's time to move to a new area.

£1200 is ridiculous for a rewire of that nature. That's less than I was charging when I was self employed eight years ago. The thing that amazes me is that they will provide a certifcate as well. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy in this industry.

Try working round where i live .:(
I recently priced up a 3 bed semi detached in a house i knew was built out of engineering brick with render coating for £1900.
It was for 2 cooker circuits,(40 amp for hob 20 amp for oven) 6 double skts in kit plus ext fan.
4 double skts in living room.
2 double skts in dining room.
2 double in each bed room.
skt in hall and landing.
skt in loft plus light.
kit/living/dining room /hall/landing on two way
outside socket front and back.
extract fan in bathroom.15 min over t with light.
tv point in each room plus amp.
A ll switch back boxes to be 25mm and skt back boxes in kit to be 35 mm (flat plate sockets to be fitted)
niceic test or napit test cert plus 2 year parts and labour warranty inc with first call out free.(unless it was a nail or some such reason.)
£1900 i hear you say - thats unbelievably cheep.
I did NOT get the job.
I was UNCOMPETITIVE the cheapest quote was for £1200.00
The only thing i can think of is that there are a lot of sparks doing work on the side . (unregistered and borrowing materials for the day job)
witch i can believe as i am getting call to price jobs where work has been done with no cert. And one which was so bad I refused to touch it and told him to call building control and trading standards.

Oh I think it's time to move to a new area.

That's Unbelievable!!

The prices are tight in my area but nothing compared to what you are up against. Where about are you if you don't mind me asking??

I work the doncaster/retford area.
Retford bawtry is not to bad but doncaster has lots of sparkys.

I priced work for a builder whom I have been working with for the past 3 years,I have done all his work in this time.
He was buliding 3 houses off his own back and I decided because of him giving me a serious amount of work I'd go easy with the price.
There was nothing out of the ordinary going into the house.They were small enough houses with 3 bedrooms,1 sitting room,Kitchen area and bathroom.No Ensuite and the shower was a Electric shower....
I didn't get the job in the end as he asked two other Electricans to price the work..
When he told me the other prices my jaw hit the ground I just could not believe how it was possible for someone to wire and second fix a house for such a price...

Before I tell you my price and the other prices I'd like out of a matter of interest to find out what you would charge for the job as i desribed below..
3 new wire 2 story houses all the same with about 15 twin sockets,Electric shower,Oil heating,a couple of two way switches,1 outside light, 8 penndant lights,Cooker point
Thats basically it the houses were basic enough...

What per house would you charge?

im often out with me pricing but id say about £3000 including materials maybe coming to 500 ish, so about £9000 for the three?

i just been to price a large bungalow reqire tonight, for a farmer (tight buggers!)
i quoted him £2820 inc materials, 4 bedrooms, dining, living, kitchen, bathroom, cooker, shower, bonding, consumer unit etc etc. he said you must be joking! dont know what planet there on but i aint working for peanuts!

Reply to how do you price your work? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock