Discuss how do you price your work? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

im often out with me pricing but id say about £3000 including materials maybe coming to 500 ish, so about £9000 for the three?

i just been to price a large bungalow reqire tonight, for a farmer (tight buggers!)
i quoted him £2820 inc materials, 4 bedrooms, dining, living, kitchen, bathroom, cooker, shower, bonding, consumer unit etc etc. he said you must be joking! dont know what planet there on but i aint working for peanuts!

£3000 thats €3800 give or take

I was charging €4000........
You'll never guess what the other Electrican priced it at

thats ridiculous!! if you allowed maybe 600+ inc vat for materials your left with like £750 ish. how quick can they be 1st and 2nd fixed??

im not the fastest and would probably allow a good week to 1st fix and a few days to 2nd fix, maybe say 10 days labour, so id want a minimum of £2000 in labour, he's either rough as buggery or super fast!! people like that do my head in, they should be realistic and give others a chance!

yeah but its 2 storey! it may not take that long but id allow that amount of time if i were pricing it, you can often come a croper when you gotta cut noggins for sockets and switches etc, and the noggins for pendants etc

I regularly rewire 3 bed houses while fully furnished in 5 days - 1st, 2nd fix and test. I wire a kitchen - 1st, 2nd fix & test in a day. The more you do the quicker you get.

ive wired plenty of houses / flats etc all over the country, new builds are not always straight forward, as well as furnished properties, last firm i worked for had a lad who used to wire 2 story houses in a day and the quality of work was sheer crap, a lot depends on how organised the job is, whether you have descent plans/drawings and no --- hole site managers changing ther minds all the time.
me last big job before going self employed was a 850k house up near middlesborough, that was new build timber frame brick shell. i must of been there 2 weeks 1st fixing, 40+ dbll skts, 65+ downlights, big av installs as well as ethernet etc. then the 2nd fix well that took ages as well good day and a half just marking, drilling and fitting downlights!

Cirrus-: I agree 1-1.5 days for a 1st fix, i was doing 1st fixes on 2 bed houses in a day, the same for 2nd fixing, then a few hours to test , but that was 10yrs ago when i was younger, so i now allow 4-5 days for a similar job.
Talking about rewires, charge as much as you think you can get away with because youll never go back again to rewire it, so rip em off 1st time thats my motto and im always dead busy. Dave

SPARKYORK, I AGREE IT CAN TAKE A LOT LONGER, IF YOU INSTALL SPOTS A.V. ETC, NOWADAYS PROPERTIES HAVE A LOT MORE IN THAN THEY USED TO, ALARM SYSTEMS, TV AERIALS,SMOKE DETECTORS, EN-SUITE SHOWERS FANS, ETC, ETC,. DAVE

Last edited by a moderator:
on even a basic 3 bed new build id be at least half a day boxing up everywhere and cutting noggins etc, i am however basing this on 8 while 5 hours, then theres fighting with the wall ties in the cavities trying to get your meter tails in.

standad rate for a socket around here is £60 and £40 a fitting. Thats obviously 1st and 2nd fix and london rates. Thats kinda average what alot of people I know charge.

I tend to sometimes work out how long the job takes, so daily rate + material + 15/20% on top just to cover my arse if the job over runs, or extra profit :D.
hi danzor, is it 40/60 just for the labour and you charge for tha matirials on top of it , or the matirials are included in your price???

thats ridiculous!! if you allowed maybe 600+ inc vat for materials your left with like £750 ish. how quick can they be 1st and 2nd fixed??

im not the fastest and would probably allow a good week to 1st fix and a few days to 2nd fix, maybe say 10 days labour, so id want a minimum of £2000 in labour, he's either rough as buggery or super fast!! people like that do my head in, they should be realistic and give others a chance!

hi
I have a different nature of question: what is 1st and 2nd fix in electrical installations?
many thanks

Hey Mike.

I dont think those two guys are on the forum anymore.

In answer to your question though, 1st fix is drilling holes, installing cables and backboxes and capping etc. 2nd fix is terminating all the sockets, switches light fittings and consumer unit etc.

Cheers

50 pound a point ie socket outlet etc
50 quid just for a labour or material expences are included in this 50 quid price?

Hey Mike.

I dont think those two guys are on the forum anymore.

In answer to your question though, 1st fix is drilling holes, installing cables and backboxes and capping etc. 2nd fix is terminating all the sockets, switches light fittings and consumer unit etc.

Cheers
is there usuall any interval between between 1st and 2nd fix? i mean if there is any other building job needs to be done like plasterboarding or plastering etc needs to be usually done between the fixes or 1st and 2nd fix are done usually in one go one straight away after another?what does your experience say?
regards

Its generally, first fix, then wait a week or two and then back for second fix and testing.

Now although that sounds fairly straight forward, it never is.

There are usually many things that can hold up plastering etc.

Usually plumbers:rolleyes:

I first fixed a bungalow last november (quite big but not massive) and i still havent been able to finish it. This time its the kitchen fitters.

This is why its best to have a couple of jobs on the go at any one time.

At the moment i have four, and none of them i can get on with due to various hold ups.

Thats one of the reasons i am on here at this time of the day!

Jason, did u not get a payment after 1st fix, or is that not done where you are, our wholesalers although great lads still want theres after 30days, or we go on stop, why should you stand the jobs.

I ALWAYS take a payment (deposit) upfront, part payment after first fix, and final balance after completion.

Never had a problem so far.

Genuine people dont mind doing that.

Reply to how do you price your work? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net