Discuss How many eicr in a day in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys whats your take of how many EICRs can be done properly in a day average of 5 to 8 circuits ranging from 1 bed flats to 3 bed houses?? This would also include travel and also doing any repairs whilst there?

You can't really foretell what faults you are going to find or repairs needed to put the installation in a satisfactory condition so very hard to judge unless you have some prior knowledge of installations you are attending.

I would say 2 semi detached 3 bed houses a day is achievable with report done including observation sheet. This would be testing only and no repairs unless very very minor.
ÂŁ125-ÂŁ150+vat per test.

I'm asking as my work want us to move to 3 full tests a day (one lad likes to brag he can do 5 or more) but this also includes repairs like open circuits (in social housing so believe me tenants have lots of furniture or crap and aren't helpful at moving it) or smashed sockets etc.
I was thinking 2 a day and repairs would seem more logical

Based on my personal experience of social housing testers, when ever our place gets done the guy's in and out within the hour (might explain why they missed the open earth on one of the rings which I found approx. 7 years after it was first installed whilst changing the board as a result of a melty melty neutral bar).

Hi guys whats your take of how many EICRs can be done properly in a day average of 5 to 8 circuits ranging from 1 bed flats to 3 bed houses?? This would also include travel and also doing any repairs whilst there?

How long is a piece of string?
If you are including repairs then I would say to do it properly one property per day, or possibly one property in two days if there are a lot of remedials to be done.

5 a day? No problem. Just drive by, sit in maccys car park to write up.

Even a team of two, doing two a day is pushing it.
quick visual, global IR to earth only.... ze, rcd tests, check switches work. Write down a lot of limitations cos you’re not moving furniture. Cup of tea, if the cups clean.....
I wouldn’t be signing any report done like that.

I'm glad I'm not alone then in thinking its a load of tosh. I've never been happy with more than 2. I like to take my time make sure I observe everything and fill the cert in perfectly because at the end of the day its my name on it and if I rushed to get loads done and missed something and then something bad happened....would my company stand behind me...i got more chance of meeting churchill

I think the fastest EICR I have done was a vacant 1 bed flat recently which took only a couple of hours.
But it was completely empty, spotless and only 7 years old and only had a couple of C3s so received a satisfactory overall assessment.

I reckon I could have done 4 identical flats in the same building properly in a day if they were all empty and in good condition

I did 2 today, one was a 5 bed HMO recently rewired, only 2 students left, property practically bare, could whip around testing at speed. Consumer Unit well wired and not messy. Started 9:30 finished by 1pm
Afternoon did an EICR on an empty 2 bed flat. again being empty I could test quite quickly. Started 1:15 finished just after 4pm This was a lot older with messy board and sockets that didnt like coming off with old mangled screws.
Spent an hour this evening finishing the reports, do most on site with the tablet using electraforn.
It can be done but is very much property specific and dependent on what you find when you arrive. if they are occupied then it can be slower.

Big company I used to do some testing & inspections for they allowed roughly 30 mins per circuit to test and inspect. This did not include any repair work...So if it was an old house with say a 6 way fuse box they would expect a PIR on that house completed in roughly 3 hours and written up on site then move onto the next house.
this was 100% testing where practically possible but no moving any big bulky furnitur.
so based on that it would be 2 houses per day And home by 4pm

I would like to follow the guy who can do 5 a day. We all need our 5 a day apparently. I guess I would find a load of stuff that was missed. But then that is standard procedure. Maybe the young ones don't feel as worried as us older ones that omissions could lead to serious injury or death. As to the testing part, inspection is more looking and checking than testing so much. I was (indirectly via another spark) offered the same type of work with the same requirements. This was from a large housing maintenance group. They had sacked the guy like you @magnoliafan89 because he was finding too much work to do! They wanted people who got the forms filled, and as explained to me the guy was winking at the spark who offered me the work. Of course I jumped at the opportunity to distance myself from such an unholy offer. Lack of ethics lies at the bottom of the 3 a day.

I always allow a day for a domestic EICR, no matter the size. 95% of the ones I carry out are social housing so if I get finished a couple of hours earlier I can usually get a couple of the observations done with my spare time to finish the day off knowing they will send me back to get a satisfactory cert anyway. You never know what your going to find in the house furniture and cleanliness wise. There’s always a couple of observations to do, or even swapping the smokes as there close to expiration.

I would like to follow the guy who can do 5 a day. We all need our 5 a day apparently. I guess I would find a load of stuff that was missed. But then that is standard procedure. Maybe the young ones don't feel as worried as us older ones that omissions could lead to serious injury or death. As to the testing part, inspection is more looking and checking than testing so much. I was (indirectly via another spark) offered the same type of work with the same requirements. This was from a large housing maintenance group. They had sacked the guy like you @magnoliafan89 because he was finding too much work to do! They wanted people who got the forms filled, and as explained to me the guy was winking at the spark who offered me the work. Of course I jumped at the opportunity to distance myself from such an unholy offer. Lack of ethics lies at the bottom of the 3 a day.
I know just what you mean. Unfortunately the lad doing 5 a day is actually older than me lol.
I was happy plodding along doing it the old way
I know how it'll play out though theyd rather listen to the guy who can do 5 drive bys thus meaning more work is essentially ticked off instead of actually allowing us to carry out good quality work.

"They" have a responsibility to Health and Safety to their clients and someone in the organisation is responsible for that, have a word with them it may scare "they" enough to do something about it. :rolleyes:

5 a day? No problem. Just drive by, sit in maccys car park to write up.

Even a team of two, doing two a day is pushing it.
quick visual, global IR to earth only.... ze, rcd tests, check switches work. Write down a lot of limitations cos you’re not moving furniture. Cup of tea, if the cups clean.....
I wouldn’t be signing any report done like that.
Totally agree with my southern friend.

ÂŁ125-ÂŁ150 per property = race to the bottom IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How many eicr in a day in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock