Discuss How to obscure load signatures that smart meters record cheaply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cheatcode

DIY
Reaction score
So, big brother is coming to my town, and is rolling out those fancy smart meters.

My question is, what is the cheapest way to mask the loads devices give as signatures to the power company? Would putting a device behind a UPS make the device type not known to the power company? If not, would putting a DC circuit and an AC inverter between the device and the wall work to obscure what it is? I understand that time correlation is a part of how they detect what a device is, but I'm more concerned with obscuring the devices "Load Signature" if that makes sense.

Sorry for my misuse of any technical terms, I am a layman concerning electrical.

Thanks in advance!

What are you trying to achieve? Sound like you are trying to deceive the power company which is, err, dodgy.

I simply want the power company not to know what devices I'm using, just how much power I'm drawing. I want to achieve privacy that's all, happy to pay for what I use.

There are ted talks etc where people explain that they keep some kind of load signatures and can correlate that data against your usage to know what devices you have in your home.

I'm guessing he's referring to the privacy issues of newer generation smart meters analyzing the power signatures of a household load and their ability to recognize individual appliances.

Attachments

• energies-14-00719-v2.pdf
    419.2 KB · Views: 20
I'm guessing he's referring to the privacy issues of newer generation smart meters analyzing the power signatures of a household load and their ability to recognize individual appliances.
Exactly. Ill read that doc soon, I have not seen it before.

I just want to be able to isolate a circuit so the devices on that circuit cant be determined using this technology.

I wasn't aware of that document, if the information was available to the user is sounds ideal for understanding our usage, it would also make sense to involve the end-users in identifying appliances. Unfortunately, if it's like the current implementation of smart meters with not having access to your own data that's poor. I assume under freedom of information the companies should tell you what information they hold and why. Living in an Amish community might be ideal then the technology might not get you.

Why do you not want the supplier knowing what sort of equipment you are using?

I think some companies allow you to chose how often the meters report, setting that to once per day would mask a lot, but not (obviously) when you are away from home for a holiday, etc.

The smart meters being rolled out don't have the ability to profile individual devices.
What you can do is insist that your supplier configure the meter to only provide monthly readings. It's not something anyone tells you is possible, and I bet the sales droids don't have that information, but AIUI you are entitled to do that. How you confirm that they've actually done it, and don't undo it "accidentally" at some point in the future is another matter.

Just putting (e.g.) a UPS in line won't change your usage profile. You'd have to purposefully switch to battery power periodically to do that - and you'd find that wear & tear on the batteries in a typical UPS will outweigh any savings you might make.

Here's one way! Large inverter to power house, Number of batteries. Have a battery switch in when the previous one is flat. have an adjustable charger charge the flat batteries, set charging current so that average charge is the same as average discharge. The supplier will then see the same current being drawn continuously 24 hours a day from the battery charger.
Very expensive to design and install such a system, hugely inefficient and it would take up a lot of room. Fun though.

Here's one way! Large inverter to power house, Number of batteries. Have a battery switch in when the previous one is flat. have an adjustable charger charge the flat batteries, set charging current so that average charge is the same as average discharge. The supplier will then see the same current being drawn continuously 24 hours a day from the battery charger.
Very expensive to design and install such a system, hugely inefficient and it would take up a lot of room. Fun though.
Clever.

So, big brother is coming to my town, and is rolling out those fancy smart meters.

My question is, what is the cheapest way to mask the loads devices give as signatures to the power company? Would putting a device behind a UPS make the device type not known to the power company? If not, would putting a DC circuit and an AC inverter between the device and the wall work to obscure what it is? I understand that time correlation is a part of how they detect what a device is, but I'm more concerned with obscuring the devices "Load Signature" if that makes sense.

Sorry for my misuse of any technical terms, I am a layman concerning electrical.

Thanks in advance!
You know that it is a reason why when coming the main supply that everything it's marked and protected , you want to drive a car without number plate it's illegal.

Reply to How to obscure load signatures that smart meters record cheaply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net