• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss How to run MC out of panel in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you're using MC Cable for wiring main runs from an outdoor panel, do you just strip back the necessary amount of metal jacket to go from the panel to inside? Or use THHN from the panel to a junction box inside the house, then start using MC?

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Megawatt

-
Arms
If you're using MC Cable for wiring main runs from an outdoor panel, do you just strip back the necessary amount of metal jacket to go from the panel to inside? Or use THHN from the panel to a junction box inside the house, then start using MC?
CO welcome to the forum and it would look a whole lot neater if you go with the PVC junction box using THHN insulated wire from the panel to the box, then run your MC cable. Good luck

I would not run MC from a PVC can, only a metallic enclosure, even though the MC armor is not a suitable grounding path, it needs to be bonded at both ends.

I would not run MC from a PVC can, only a metallic enclosure, even though the MC armor is not a suitable grounding path, it needs to be bonded at both ends.
I mentioned that I ran to a fused box near the CU and mine is metallic as recommended above. While I think it only needs to be bonded at one end it is obvious that better both ends as stated by norcal

Last edited:

Megawatt

-
Arms
That’s the good thing about PVC you don’t have to worry about bonding nothing. Just tie all your grounds together

Reply to How to run MC out of panel in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net