Discuss how to use storage heater without activating the included convector heater? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 123084

Dear all, I have 3 unidare storage heaters that I d like to use minimizing electrical expense and I m struggling to understand how they work. I ve called unidare phone with no success and asked 2 electricians that could not provide help, thus I thought maybe someone from here could help. the instructions indicate how to adjust input (to regulate how "much energy it stores") and output (to adjust the time of day at which the heat emmited from the grille=boost is emmited). This is fed by night electricity. Instructions indicate additionally it can work as convector heater that uses day electricity (expensive) if necessary. instructions say this convector has a switch (on=convector runs/off=it does not run) and a thermostat to adjust to desired room temperature. Therefore, I understand that if I only want to use night electricity it should be enough to have them plugged with input/output on desired positions, NOT turning on the convector switch. But if I just do that, nothing happens and it remains completely cold. I can switch them ON using the convector switch, but in that case, it turns hot at any time of the day using electricity during day, and that s not what I want as that s expensive. Could anyone please provide help on how to make work ONLY the storage and NOT the convector? any help would be much appreciated thanks a lot, best regards
here the instructions I got
how to use storage heater without activating the included convector heater? heaterinstr - EletriciansForums.net

Does the heater have two supplies to it, for example two separate flexes from separate switches on the wall.

Presuming you've left the wall switches on overnight? If you have and dont have any heat at all the next day then they're either all broken or aren't getting power. With the dials, set input to about 5, and outputs to zero.

Presuming you've left the wall switches on overnight? If you have and dont have any heat at all the next day then they're either all broken or aren't getting power. With the dials, set input to about 5, and outputs to zero.
thanks for your answer. But why should I set output to zero? first, there is no zero, but 1-6. second, I don t understand why that would help ¿? could you please explain?
[automerge]1571418763[/automerge]
Can you hear a click when you turn the input control.
not really. I have checked on the 3 heaters I have in the house and none does make a clic. I add that when I moved in, I just turned on the convector switch setting its thermostat to zero, suppossing that was the way to make the heaters work. I paid a fortune on electricity and that is why this year I m making an effort to understand how these work.

Because the output just controls a bimetalic stric and pushes down on a flap to let the heat out of the bricks, saying that thinking about it i think unidare are the buck to that trend and do also have some link relating to input aswell, either way... keep output fairly low so the heat remains in the heater for longer and should make it into the evening

Because the output just controls a bimetalic stric and pushes down on a flap to let the heat out of the bricks, saying that thinking about it i think unidare are the buck to that trend and do also have some link relating to input aswell, either way... keep output fairly low so the heat remains in the heater for longer and should make it into the evening
ok. I will then try output 1, which is the lowest. But I setted it at 3 yesterday night and this morning the heater was absolotely cold... so I don t understand what s going on

thanks for your answer. But why should I set output to zero? first, there is no zero, but 1-6. second, I don t understand why that would help ¿? could you please explain?
[automerge]1571418763[/automerge]

not really. I have checked on the 3 heaters I have in the house and none does make a clic. I add that when I moved in, I just turned on the convector switch setting its thermostat to zero, suppossing that was the way to make the heaters work. I paid a fortune on electricity and that is why this year I m making an effort to understand how these work.
I just noticed that the thermostat DOES CLIC when I turn it. does that help somehow?
[automerge]1571420757[/automerge]
Put the input dial fairly high.... if all heaters remain cold in the morning somethings not right
hum, ok I ll tray that. I just noticed the thermostat clics when I turn it. if I m interpreting the instructions right, the thermostat only has an effect on the convector function, but now I am considering it may activate something? another combination would be to turn the convector switch ON but leaving the thermostat in zero, but I m not sure on the effects of that. would that make the heater use day electricty instead of night one? by the way, if I use the convector at night, would that use night electricity because it s night time? or day because the "cable" goes to the day electricity "circuit"?

I'd also check the distribution board that supplies the night time or 'off peak' power and make sure all the circuit breakers are turned on [in the up position], and check that all the switches adjacent to the heaters are also on.

What tariff are you on with your supplier? You should be on Economy 7 or something similar. Also, do you get hot water overnight? That is common in properties using storage heaters and would show the overnight power supply is turning on over night.
I have come across situations where people have cancelled economy 7 and of course the overnight supply does not come on.

What tariff are you on with your supplier? You should be on Economy 7 or something similar. Also, do you get hot water overnight? That is common in properties using storage heaters and would show the overnight power supply is turning on over night.
I have come across situations where people have cancelled economy 7 and of course the overnight supply does not come on.
I have economy 7, there are 2 electrical panels and on them it s written which corresponds to what and it says storage heaters in 3 of them. I do have a hot water heater that does work heating water at night (and I have checked it is actually working that way).In the heater, when I switch on the convector switch the light is on, so they are getting electricity (if I understood all correctly, they are getting "day" electricity"). So, I suspect they may not be getting night electricity?

Possibly.... or all 3 could have tripped the thermal cut outs inside, this can happen if they have been covered at some point with clothes, or if the thermostats stick on
Could you suggest any additional test I may conduct to figure this out? Last year I used them with the convector switch ON, so they worked but I paid a fortune. This year with the convector switch OFF, only one heater gets warm at night and exhales hear around the day. should i call an electrician? Unidare does not answer the phone. In fact I am not sure if they still exist as I can not find anything online about them

If all the MCB's are turned "On" on the off peak side of the consumer unit, and the overnight switch is turned on for each of the heaters , but only one heater heats overnight and the rest do not, It is one
1) The input dial (thermostat) is set too low so the heater is not getting hot. Set this to the maximum.
2) The thermostat has failed (This can be changed by an electrician, but may take multiple visits as it would be unusual for an electrician to carry them unless they look at a lot of store age heaters.
3) The heaters have tripped the thermal cutout. This will need an electrician.
4) The Wall switch may be faulty (It happens).

To identify Economy 7 issues I normally turn off the main switch and all MCB's for the overnight supply, then with the cover removed, take a 13 amp plug supply and feed the overnight bus bar and the neutral into the relevant bar. then turn each heater on one at a time and see what amps are drawn. If no amps are drawn by a heater, there is an issue somewhere down the line and further investigation is required to see how far the electricity is getting.
If the electrician you get is not familiar with Economy 7, you may wish to pass on this information.

If all the MCB's are turned "On" on the off peak side of the consumer unit, and the overnight switch is turned on for each of the heaters , but only one heater heats overnight and the rest do not, It is one
1) The input dial (thermostat) is set too low so the heater is not getting hot. Set this to the maximum.
2) The thermostat has failed (This can be changed by an electrician, but may take multiple visits as it would be unusual for an electrician to carry them unless they look at a lot of store age heaters.
3) The heaters have tripped the thermal cutout. This will need an electrician.
4) The Wall switch may be faulty (It happens).

To identify Economy 7 issues I normally turn off the main switch and all MCB's for the overnight supply, then with the cover removed, take a 13 amp plug supply and feed the overnight bus bar and the neutral into the relevant bar. then turn each heater on one at a time and see what amps are drawn. If no amps are drawn by a heater, there is an issue somewhere down the line and further investigation is required to see how far the electricity is getting.
If the electrician you get is not familiar with Economy 7, you may wish to pass on this information.
thanks a lot for you reply. However, I have two questions: 1)What are the MCBs? and 2) if I understand the instructions (attached here) , the thermostat is to be used for the convector, because it activates the heater according to the room temperature. And convector uses day energy, more expensive. According to instructions, the heat the storage "accumulates" and "delivers" heat depending on the input/output settings on the controls on the top of the heater. Thus I assume the thermostat has no role on the functioning of the storage heater... so I don not follow your explanation. Am I missing something? thanks again

how to use storage heater without activating the included convector heater? heaterinstructions - EletriciansForums.net

thanks a lot for you reply. However, I have two questions: 1)What are the MCBs? and 2) if I understand the instructions (attached here) , the thermostat is to be used for the convector, because it activates the heater according to the room temperature. And convector uses day energy, more expensive. According to instructions, the heat the storage "accumulates" and "delivers" heat depending on the input/output settings on the controls on the top of the heater. Thus I assume the thermostat has no role on the functioning of the storage heater... so I don not follow your explanation. Am I missing something? thanks again

View attachment 53277
The thermostat on the side is for the convection heater, but the "Input control" knob for the storage heater does use a thermostat to regulate the temperature the heater reaches overnight. This basically heats bricks overnight, and the heat then comes out over the day once the electricity is off again during the day.

The MCB is part of the consumer unit. If the lights in the property "Trip" You go to the Consumer unit, and turn back on the lighting circuit. what you turn on is either an MCB or something similar. In your situation you will have either two consumer units,
or one consumer unit with two parts and two red main switches. One of the red switches will feed the consumer unit is on 24 hours a day and the other main switch will only get power from 12.30Pm to 7.00Am (Times may vary). you need to ensure the MCB's marked as heaters are all on.

Reply to how to use storage heater without activating the included convector heater? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock