Discuss I.R test before cu changeI in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have been following a heated debate on this subject ,its been suggested to I.R test circuits before cu change.if doing so are you testing through main tails or individual circuits both would involve lamps out sockets and appliences dissconnected this would take time and could risk damage to sensitive circuits that you have missed, i put a tong meter on the main earth tail from the cu to the meter and check to see if there is any amps present if so i have a earth fault on the installation i would then scale down testing to find the circuit with the fault this of cause would not show up if the cu has no rcds but would as soon as you fire up the nice new cu with nice new rcds it works for me i am at present on 2391 and this subject is a good one

Last edited:
good call
I always worry about missing something on IR tests and usually join the phase and neutral together and test between them and earth.
Unless I really know the property and installation well, or if it's my install, I get this niggle before I push the test button

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys, I aint gettin involved with this one dont know who I might offend!!!:eek:. My views are in the other thread.:)

HI LENNY
You will get no slagging from me i appreciate all the help you and the other sparks offer on here i am new to this trade and setting up on my and this site is a great source of information for me and others like me do you go with my testing method of using the main earth to check for any leakage of amps to earth with tong meter

Last edited:
Yeah, it absolutely makes sense. The only thing I would say is to make sure that all high leakage appliances such as computers, heating appliances and other resistive loads are removed from the circuit as this may give a false indication of earth leakage on the circuit and you could possibly go looking for a fault that isn't there.

Have you got one of those nice earth leakage clampmeters that will measure milliamps??

One bit of advice is to test at 250volts first. That way you will identify if a load is still connected if you get a poor reading between phase/neutral. Then crank it up to 500 if everything is ok at 250

Allways tricky this one I.R on cu changes!! thanks lenny and also trainy graet idea about buzzing 250vs simple ideas like that can save me time and money keep up the good work

I'm with Tuckermot

I'm not into slagging off people for trying to be helpful. and, like tuckermot I am trying o get going myself
I'd like to extend my thanks to all who posted on this site

I get this niggle before I push the test button

Once you get going that feeling soon disappears.

Like others have said, test at 250V first to make sure everything is disconnected.

If you get a flat reading anywhere, then its possible a spur is hidden away somewhere still switched on, or there is an outside light with a PIr sensor on it.

Apologies Ron,

Its now been archived.

Actually I did find it before you "archived" it. It was titled "what tests do prior cu change" and the guy you took a dislike to had some pretty good points presented in an orderly manner.

In real terms you censored it because he criticised a moderator. Weather he was right or wrong have you never heard of free speech?

Cheers, Ron

Shouldnt we be checking for continuity on circuits before we zap em with IR? If theres no continuity then our IR will be a false positive.

Actually I did find it before you "archived" it. It was titled "what tests do prior cu change" and the guy you took a dislike to had some pretty good points presented in an orderly manner.

In real terms you censored it because he criticised a moderator. Weather he was right or wrong have you never heard of free speech?

Cheers, Ron

Ron, I'm sorry but you are way off the mark here. The guy launched what I felt was a personal attack on me implying that I was a joke and no good at my job.

All I was doing was sharing my input on the op's query and not metioning anything about him, and for whatever reason he took great offenece to it and launched his tirade against me.

I'm all for free speech Ron, but not when it doesn't relate to th OP and certainly not when it berates another member of the forum.

Ron, I'm sorry but you are way off the mark here. The guy launched what I felt was a personal attack on me implying that I was a joke and no good at my job.

All I was doing was sharing my input on the op's query and not metioning anything about him, and for whatever reason he took great offenece to it and launched his tirade against me.

I'm all for free speech Ron, but not when it doesn't relate to th OP and certainly not when it berates another member of the forum.

Hi Lenny

I probably am off the mark as I really only skipped through the post pretty quickly - it was pulled too fast :):). When I wrote the reply I couldn't look at it again. Personally I would have responded against an attack but I don't have the delete button as an option.

That said, from what I have seen on here over the last month I think anyone describing you or your abilities as a joke is very misguided as you obviously know the trade inside out.

I thought the thread had some good points and it begs the question - can't individual replies be pulled?

Cheers, Ron

This is an unfortunate situation. And the the guy did have some valid points. But he did get personal , and I'm with Lenny, as this is unnacceptible.
However I don't think the thread should have been pulled as he was not making Lenny look bad - it was him that "blew a fuse"

Reply to I.R test before cu changeI in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock