Discuss If extractor fan in bathroom is autonomous does it require isolator switch or usual fused switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

benhurr

DIY
Reaction score
Hi to all,
If extractor fan in bathroom is autonomous does it still require isolator switch or usual fused switch will do? It runs of 12v transformer outside. Not being linked to light switch. Can be fed from either circuits.

An 'isolator' and the 'usual fused switch' are both isolators. Only difference is that one has a fuse.
Whether a fuse is required depends on if the manufacturer's instructions require the fan to be fused at a rating below the existing circuit protection device.

Reactions: DPG
An 'isolator' and the 'usual fused switch' are both isolators. Only difference is that one has a fuse.
Whether a fuse is required depends on if the manufacturer's instructions require the fan to be fused at a rating below the existing circuit protection device.
well hello again, I meant does it require special dedicated isolator for fans which have 3 pole isolation MK Logic Plus 10A 1-Gang 3-Pole Fan Isolator Switch White - Screwfix - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-logic-plus-10a-1-gang-3-pole-fan-isolator-switch-white/12319 {because technically it shouldn't (as it will not have extra line for switching etc)} OR Fused switch ( MK Logic Plus 13A Switched Fused Spur & Flex Outlet White - Screwfix - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-logic-plus-13a-switched-fused-spur-flex-outlet-white/13479) . I mean I don't mind either, those can cost the same , just unnecessary.

If the feed to the fan has three live wires (live includes neutral), then you need a TP switch.
If the fan is required to be fused at less than the circuit protection device rating, then you will need a switched/fused connector.
You may have to fit both.

well hello again, I meant does it require special dedicated isolator for fans which have 3 pole isolation MK Logic Plus 10A 1-Gang 3-Pole Fan Isolator Switch White - Screwfix - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-logic-plus-10a-1-gang-3-pole-fan-isolator-switch-white/12319 {because technically it shouldn't (as it will not have extra line for switching etc)} OR Fused switch ( MK Logic Plus 13A Switched Fused Spur & Flex Outlet White - Screwfix - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-logic-plus-13a-switched-fused-spur-flex-outlet-white/13479) . I mean I don't mind either, those can cost the same , just unnecessary.

When fitting a new fan install, I always accommodate 3p isolator etc in case of future upgrades.

If it’s not coming from light switch, it’s only using L and N, there is no switched live.
No need to use a 3 pole, other than the fact it may have a picture of a fan on it.
Sw/fuse on its own is fine. You can always label it, or locate it next to the transformer

There will be a wiring diagram in the instructions.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to If extractor fan in bathroom is autonomous does it require isolator switch or usual fused switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net