Search the forum,

Discuss Introduction in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, Really appreciate having access to the Forum. I retired from my desk job in 2008 and as an experienced DIYer went back to College and studied pre-apprenticeship trades courses. In the last 3 years I have achieved NC's in Electrical & Electronic Engineering & Electrical Installation which included work placement and also have an NC in Plumbing with workshop skills. I have been trying to get an Electrical Apprenticeship during this time - the only way in Scotland to train - but have realised that this is very very difficult in the present economic climate and that the youngsters need to get a foot on the ladder, so priority with employers is understandably here. So I appreciate that I have learnt some new skills and really enjoy doing all sorts of DIY jobs around the home and for friends family but wish I could have taken things further....:cheesy:

Welcome to the forum.

It is very hard to be able to get your foot on the ladder, even for young people.

There may still be someone out there who can help, not a high chance maybe, but still worth pushing for.

If you can get any work experience then this may stand you in good stead for the apprenticeship.

Good luck, glad the forum is useful.

Welcome to the forum.

It is very hard to be able to get your foot on the ladder, even for young people.

There may still be someone out there who can help, not a high chance maybe, but still worth pushing for.

If you can get any work experience then this may stand you in good stead for the apprenticeship.

Good luck, glad the forum is useful.

Thank you. I had 6 weeks work experience with Fife Council, mainly domestic, and really enjoyed it. I have written to 40+ local electrical companies (chosen from SELECT) looking for an apprenticeship but also offering to work free to gain more work experience. Only 1 company would offer work experience but categorically said they couldn't take me on as an apprentice - too expensive as there is no (government) financial help for employers to take anyone on who is aged over 24. Also, there are health & safety issues for work experience too - I'll probably need to to get my ECS qualification first - thank you though for your interest and advice. C

Do not just limit yourself to electrical companies, other big companies may have in house electrical services and property maintenance companies, builders, kitchen fitters all need electricians and may consider you as a mate.

The lack of funding for older apprentices is a problem for many companies.

For any site work you would need an ECS card but this is easy and cheap to get, just look on their website.
If you do not qualify for an ECS card get a CSCS card until you do.

just to add to richard's useful post, the ECS card test is a basic H&S 40 questions. you can download the question book, revise it, and book the test through ECA website. the cost is £42 inc. VAT. it's a 30min. exam. multiple choice.

Reply to Introduction in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back