Discuss Introducing myself in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My online name is LittleTyke. I joined the forum yesterday. I am 77 years old, male, retired, living in Lincolnshire. I have been doing various forms of DIY for 60 years, although for advanced electrical, plumbing and heating jobs I call in a professional. In the past at a different address I have wired my own 13 Amp spurs (sockets), repaired a vacuum cleaner (fusible link inside was blown; got a new one off Amazon and soldered it in), put on umpteen 3-pin plugs, replaced all the downlighters (dozens) with LED and requisite drivers, and so on. My original trade was motor vehicle mechanics and I completed a 7-year apprenticeship in the 1960s, then moved to Germany and worked for Ford-Werke in Cologne for 12 years.

Welcome, you will have witnessed the move from carbs to injection and distributor with points to ECUs, lambda sensors and the like , my latest car appears to be a critique of my driving style , jamming on the brakes to avoid a non existant collision, worst passenger i have ever had.... Wonder what you recon of todays cars ?
merry xmas

Welcome, you will have witnessed the move from carbs to injection and distributor with points to ECUs, lambda sensors and the like , my latest car appears to be a critique of my driving style , jamming on the brakes to avoid a non existant collision, worst passenger i have ever had.... Wonder what you recon of todays cars ?
merry xmas
What I reckon? Well, my driving days are fast coming to an end. Although I still consider myself to be a safe driver, at 77 it cannot go on forever. Maybe I'll renew the driving licence one last time. I grew up in the days of Austin A35s, Morris Minors, Ford Populars. and many pre-war cars. I had a sit up and beg Popular in the 1960s that I drove to Germany and back. Prior to that, before I was old enough to drive, I had various old cars that I drove around my parents' smallholding. A 1934 Morris 8 with hydraulic brakes, a 1939 Hillman Minx, a Standard Vanguard. Later after I passed my test my first car on the road was a Morris 8 Series E. Then the back axle spring hangers ripped away from the body (first attempts at monocoque design without a separate chassis), so I bought a Wolseley 10. Best car ever at the time. Also, a part-share in a Ford Model Y. I don't like most modern cars, and I don't understand what's going on under the bonnet any longer. Modern technology with engine management systems and electric accelerators, all that came long after I studied motor vehicle mechanics. I do like compact cars. I drive a Suzuki Alto, my second one. Nice little, reliable car and good mpg. If I could afford it, I would buy a new petrol Mini. But never electric!

Am a little younger than yo but i did own a Morris Minor and have worked on a Standard Vanguard, last really old car i drove was a Wolseley 6 . First car was an Hillman Imp, girlfriend had a Austin Mini travellor, eh the good old days, could fill the tank for a fiver. There are some great youtube clips of a young guy passionate about get really old stuff going after be sat for 20 years. His channel is Diesel Creek, what he does to get stuff going has to be seen to be believed.
Welcome!

Welcome to the forum! It is a pleasure to have you here!

What was your favourite thing to work on?

Welcome to the forum! It is a pleasure to have you here!

What was your favourite thing to work on?
Ooh, that's a very wide question! I was always interested in machines from a very young age. Being anno 1946, steam trains were the only trains I grew up with, although I rode on electric trains in London when dad occasionally took me to his office on a Saturday morning. I was mighty impressed by the acceleration of those tube trains from stationary. We lived then in Hastings and aged 7 my mum let me wander the town alone (I am the archetypal loner), and I used to walk down to the Old Town where there was a miniature railway with proper steam locomotives, built to scale from scratch. I could spend most of the day there, watching Mr Hughes the father and his son, also Mr Hughes, light the fires and get up steam. Once they let me sit on the locomotives! Aged 11 we moved to a smallholding in Kent and I was forever tinkering with my dad's Versatiller 2-stroke cultivator. Later, I expanded to my mum's 4-stroke Suffolk Punch lawnmower. She was always concerned that I would break it, as it was her pride and joy, being a keen gardener. A few more years on, but not old enough to drive legally, I started acquiring old cars, one after another. A 1934 Morris 8, a 1939 Hillman Minx, and several others. I loved taking these old cars to bits and putting them back together. By the time I left school at 15½ and started an apprenticeship, inevitably it was motor vehicle mechanics, and I had a head start from all my tinkering. Working on old cars gives any DIY enthusiast a great grounding for all manner of crafts. A car contains so many different bits and pieces: engine, brakes, steering, electrics, paintwork, interior headlining, seats, and much more. Brakes alone can be hydraulic, rod brakes, cable brakes. One can apply such knowledge and experience to a great many things later in life. Even just getting the right feel for tightening a nut with a spanner, but not so tight as to strip the threads, that is a very useful experience to have even when constructing IKEA furniture! I could go on, but I expect you were only expecting a brief summary. Thanks for your interest, and thanks, too, for this forum, because over the last few days I've found out such a lot about heating programmers that I ordered a new Drayton LP722 this morning from Screwfix and will fit it myself. My heating engineer won't be back from his winter skiing for some while, you see.

Ooh, that's a very wide question! I was always interested in machines from a very young age. Being anno 1946, steam trains were the only trains I grew up with, although I rode on electric trains in London when dad occasionally took me to his office on a Saturday morning. I was mighty impressed by the acceleration of those tube trains from stationary. We lived then in Hastings and aged 7 my mum let me wander the town alone (I am the archetypal loner), and I used to walk down to the Old Town where there was a miniature railway with proper steam locomotives, built to scale from scratch. I could spend most of the day there, watching Mr Hughes the father and his son, also Mr Hughes, light the fires and get up steam. Once they let me sit on the locomotives! Aged 11 we moved to a smallholding in Kent and I was forever tinkering with my dad's Versatiller 2-stroke cultivator. Later, I expanded to my mum's 4-stroke Suffolk Punch lawnmower. She was always concerned that I would break it, as it was her pride and joy, being a keen gardener. A few more years on, but not old enough to drive legally, I started acquiring old cars, one after another. A 1934 Morris 8, a 1939 Hillman Minx, and several others. I loved taking these old cars to bits and putting them back together. By the time I left school at 15½ and started an apprenticeship, inevitably it was motor vehicle mechanics, and I had a head start from all my tinkering. Working on old cars gives any DIY enthusiast a great grounding for all manner of crafts. A car contains so many different bits and pieces: engine, brakes, steering, electrics, paintwork, interior headlining, seats, and much more. Brakes alone can be hydraulic, rod brakes, cable brakes. One can apply such knowledge and experience to a great many things later in life. Even just getting the right feel for tightening a nut with a spanner, but not so tight as to strip the threads, that is a very useful experience to have even when constructing IKEA furniture! I could go on, but I expect you were only expecting a brief summary. Thanks for your interest, and thanks, too, for this forum, because over the last few days I've found out such a lot about heating programmers that I ordered a new Drayton LP722 this morning from Screwfix and will fit it myself. My heating engineer won't be back from his winter skiing for some while, you see.

Excellent point about getting a feel for tightening fastenings.

Reply to Introducing myself in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net