Discuss IP rating of shower pull cord in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

richy3333

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Found a shower pull cord switch within zone 1 of a shower. Can't tell the manufacturers details so can't ask them. So does anyone know what the general rating for these switches are? (Thought I saw something posted on here once, possibly by Spin?).

Either way not a great installation and it was like this on 4 showers.

Here's a piccy:IP rating of shower pull cord IMG_2023 - EletriciansForums.net

I agree, not where I would have put it, but is it actually in zone 1? What's the height of the body of the switch from the floor?

Unless the room was modified after the pull cord was fitted which put the shower there.

My understanding, is that MK ceiling accessories are only IP3X, as such not suitable for positioning anywhere in the zones, and not recommended for positioning where they would be subjected to excessive moisture or dampness.
Even if the ceiling is 2.25m above floor level, I wouldn't consider placing the accessory directly above zone 1 a good idea.

Which is why i always use a wall switch on the shower installs i do.
total faff to wire up pullcords regardless of where they are , and i've lost count of the ones that have burnt out.

Also to note is the shower switch is a functional means of isolation that should be able to be used of which is clearly not as its out of reach in its short string state, question is do you put the string on and class it as a zone 1 violation ;)..... wet moisture laden string all the way up to a damp live switch :6:

The pull cord switch needs to be IPx4 rated or above, but does such a thing exist? I checked with MK today & they don't make one. Does anyone out there know of one? Would make my life a lot easier.

The pull string needs to move in and out of the pull switch i fear it isnt possible to acheive IP4X because of this but good look trying to find one.

Reply to IP rating of shower pull cord in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock