Currently reading:
Issuing a Test Certificate......

Discuss Issuing a Test Certificate...... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RMW-VXR

Hey Guys,

Just a Quick question...
A customer of mine is wanting a test certificate for there house to be issued, They have an old wilex fuse board and i have been and tested out the 3 circuits

Ring Main
Lights
Cooker

obviously the wiring is old but they need the test certificate to borrow some money against the house but all i want to know is can i issue a test certificate because obviously the installation is old and has no earth on the lighting circuit but everything else has tested out fine!

Obviously i couldnt do an earth loop on the lights or and R1+R2 reading.

Any Advice guys?

Ross

If you have not installed anything the only choice is as per the above post a PIR otherwise you will be accepting responsibility for someone elses work.

Chris

sorry guys PIR? Periodic?

All im saying is can it be issued with no earth on the lighting circuit? does it just need to be mentioned on the recommendations?

No cpc on a lighting circuit supplying Class 2 equipmet is Code 2 for me, if there is Class 1 equipment on the circuit, Code 1. Also note on PIR that lighting cicuit unsuitable for Class 1 equipment.

You need to do as mentioned a periodic inspection report, it will have the test results and all departures from the current regs noted on it like no earthing.

Brilliant guys thanks! so a test certifiate can be issued? :D

All i shall note in the recommendations like you say is:

"No Earthing on lighting ciruit therfor not suitable for class 2 equipment and unable to obtain readings for this circuit".

Anything else you wud recommend putting down guys? All the equipment used on the circuit is the original from the original installation anyway. No new pendants or switches or anything!

If you look through the forum there are some useful posts with links for recommendations for codes on PIR's. Also downloadable PIR forms.

Cheers

Does it not matter that its an old wilex re-wirable fuse board then guys? it does have the push button breakers in rather than fuse wire. Also what do i do as far as earthing as it doesnt have a PME, earth is tagged off sheathing.
So Gas and water are not earthed! and to supply them with a 10mm wud mean a PME wud need to be fitted am i right?

What kind of tests have you carried out m8? No bonding on the services is Code 1 IMO, that needs to be rectified ASAP, and no, you wouldnt have to have the supply converted to PME to bond em.

done Earth Loop on cooker and ringmain
ring continuity
r1+r2 on cooker and ring

obviously cant do any tests on lighting as there is no earth!

i will bond the gas and water with 10mm then and just note down there is no PME?

Sounds like its a TN-S m8, I would carry out an IR test on the installation as well, you dont need to mention the fact there is no PME, you have said it is earthed to the supply sheath, so as above it makes it a TN-S. Have you taken a ze?

Brilliant guys thanks! so a test certifiate can be issued? :D

All i shall note in the recommendations like you say is:

"No Earthing on lighting ciruit therfor not suitable for class 2 equipment and unable to obtain readings for this circuit".

Anything else you wud recommend putting down guys? All the equipment used on the circuit is the original from the original installation anyway. No new pendants or switches or anything!

No earthing on lighting will mean it is unsuitable for Class 1 equipment.
Any mention on presence of RCD's?

It would be ideal in the situation of no cpc's to then carry out an IR test between line and neutral, just to spot any evidence of degrading, which is likely for an installation of this age.

Have you observed best practice guide 4? May be helpfull??

http://www.esc.org.uk/pdfs/business-and-community/electrical-industry/BPG4_08.pdf

I (or you) may be missing the point here.:)

The certificate you issue will be a Periodic Inspection Report. From what you have said the installation will fail the inspection badly on a number of serious issues. No loan company in their right mind will let your customers borrow any money against their home with the installation in the state it is.

Your course of action would be to carry out a PIR, to ascertain exactly how bad it is....(sounds re-wire bad to me) then carry out all necessary remedial works, and then issue an EIC stating that all the remedial works have been carried out and certifying the work you have carried out and that the house is now in a safer condition.:)

Reply to Issuing a Test Certificate...... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back