Discuss JOB OFFER (-: (opinions and info please) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SPARK2B

(adblock disabled on this site, happy to help (-: )

Hi all, havent posted for an age, but check in a couple times a week and see whats going on.

4 weeks ago I contacted the head electrical guy at our local council and asked if they take on Trainees, the answer was not at the moment, but we are currently advertising for 6 fully qualified electricians on our site......setback thinks I !

nope, after some email and phonecalls, an interview was arranged and then a job offered to me #

(apprentice role),....luvvitt!!

its a pretty sweet deal, 4 day work week, and one of those days i will be on college day release, so 3 days work, 1 days college, 4 day weekend twice a month because the work week rotates on a mon-thur and tue-fri work pattern changing every week...also they will be paying for collehe, so another grand saved....its mostly going to be housing stock ownd by the council, old ppls homes, light commercial, but i figure its a great starting block to move on from, paid for trasining, cant be bad!

anyway, my circumstances are as such:

i will finish level 2, year 2 in june on the City & Guilds 2365 and in september would have been progressing to level 3 city and guilds, so does that mean that i should be (in september) classed as a yr three apprentice ?
which obviously means a big jump in money from a year 2 apprentice....and the idea of the 2 years work i have just done not counting towards the new role both confuses and bothers me...

anyway, any and all info, as always very much appreciated.

keep up the good work people!

SPARK2B

(adblock disabled on this site, happy to help (-: )

Hi all, havent posted for an age, but check in a couple times a week and see whats going on.

4 weeks ago I contacted the head electrical guy at our local council and asked if they take on Trainees, the answer was not at the moment, but we are currently advertising for 6 fully qualified electricians on our site......setback thinks I !

nope, after some email and phonecalls, an interview was arranged and then a job offered to me #

(apprentice role),....luvvitt!!

its a pretty sweet deal, 4 day work week, and one of those days i will be on college day release, so 3 days work, 1 days college, 4 day weekend twice a month because the work week rotates on a mon-thur and tue-fri work pattern changing every week...also they will be paying for collehe, so another grand saved....its mostly going to be housing stock ownd by the council, old ppls homes, light commercial, but i figure its a great starting block to move on from, paid for trasining, cant be bad!

anyway, my circumstances are as such:

i will finish level 2, year 2 in june on the City & Guilds 2365 and in september would have been progressing to level 3 city and guilds, so does that mean that i should be (in september) classed as a yr three apprentice ?
which obviously means a big jump in money from a year 2 apprentice....and the idea of the 2 years work i have just done not counting towards the new role both confuses and bothers me...

anyway, any and all info, as always very much appreciated.

keep up the good work people!

SPARK2B

Have you been working and college for the last two years or just college?

If it's just college, I wouldn't be classing you as a third year apprentice.

Well done mate and good luck going forward.

just college, no experience outside of college,...this is my concern as to my grading as far as they are concerned

many thanks for messages everyone!

Congratulations on the new job.

Do not be too pushy when it comes to money, you have zero experience. The practical end is the main crux of the trade so when you are starting your job don't get your new employer's expectations up or they might lose patience. Be enthusiastic and never be afraid of asking too many questions, also be humble, it is your job to learn off your coworkers and to learn yourself the trade. If you antognise your colleagues they might be less likely to take the time to explain something to you and you might miss out on a valuable lesson.

Oh and good luck.

If you are starting your apprenticeship with this company, you will be starting college in Sept on the 2357 NVQ Diploma,4 year apprenticeship and you will have to start as a year 1 apprentice. If you pass your level 2 however, you will not have to do the health & safety unit (601) because you have already done it (RPL). Depending on age, the apprentice wage at the moment is ÂŁ2.73 p/h but it is going up in Oct I think to something like ÂŁ3.56 p/h.

This is the best way to become a qualified electrician.

Good luck

Jay

in my opinion you are a year one apprentice, and I would keep very quiet about the money, next year you will be far more experienced and when you have your annual review I would pipe up then and enquire as to your grading, as you are working for a council they are likely to look after you. in your position I would class myself as feet under a table for life and would hang onto working for a local authority for a long time!

i know its not all about the money, its the experiance i want and need, the manager already told me its at least ÂŁ6 an hr pay for my level, ...as much as i want to be an electrician, i cldnt work for any less than that (like the above mentioned rates, i have bills to pay, house to run etc, if it were the case then id not take the job, just stay at college untill i have done my level 3 then apply for jobs,...or go as a mate for a while and get ÂŁ9-10 an hr all day long in my part of the country.

as for the asking questions,...i will be asking as many as i need too...deffo!

antagonise people, nope,....but also wont be made a mug of, i like a joke and a laff (its what makes work enjoyable more often than not, the people you are happy work along side)

what i am really looking forward too is getting my hands on some real work, its been a long time coming, and all my lovely new tools are begging.....BEGGING....to have the shine taken off of them!!

as always i want to thank you all for your responses, i have found a lot of help and info on here, not always just from asking you all questions, but by reading what other people write on the forum as questions, i try to read a question posted, write it down on a card, then try to answer it myself either from the REGs book, OSG or my training text books or toher online resources, then i come back to see if i was right, and its fair to say im not always, but its prob near to 60-40 in my favor

...then you know what happens ??........some of you disagree with a posted answer / response and i feel even more lost!! (-:

its a learning curve i really am enjoying, only exams left are 203 (installation tech) and 2nd half of health and safety (which i think is building a scaffols, correct use of ladders, safe manual handling etc, so all gravy

as well as my practical exam,.....which im worried about, not the install as such, but the testing of it, we are just starting testing now, and......head....blown!!

as always

your help and input, very appreciated

SPARK2B

excuse spelling mistakes please....im having a "all thumbs" day

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck,fella,and i believe we make a lot of our own,so you have got to the position you find yourself...now go for it.

Although it has been mentioned,that local authority jobs,are for life,i would not bank on it being so. Take it as a "lift" along the way,maybe a big one,maybe for a fair while,but ONE part,of a greater journey.

With so many whinging,jobs-worths,out there,all failing to get a nights' sleep,due to that pea under the mattress...it is refreshing to hear someone enthuse,regarding entry to the beautiful world of graft...:yes:

Nath, in my experience there is little better on the job training than that which a local authority can offer. When I did my time what I got to do was dependent on what work came through the door of the company that employed me. However, with a LA they have housing stock where you can learn house bashing (and very quickly get fed up with it and move on to something more interesting) you have schools and public buildings (where you'll learn things that are actually interesting and you'll enjoy doing) street lighting (speaks for itself) the emergency work (where you'll learn to be quick) because Mrs Pensioner's electric has gone off. it's 10PM and you have to be up sharp for the day works. You'll get security and fire alarm work. Etc etc/
Plus the great thing about it is, some bugger else is paying for it all AND paying you a wage!
However, you say you're not going to be taken for a mug. Wrong, take the crap jobs for as long as they're thrown at you but make sure everyone knows you're mad keen to learn. Expect to fetch and carry for a while, you'll then graduate to footing ladders and handing people tools and kit. Each rung on the ladder has to be earned mate and you won't step up one until you've shown that you deserve it.
Best of luck to you, go for it.

Plus the great thing about it is, some bugger else is paying for it all AND paying you a wage!
However, you say you're not going to be taken for a mug. Wrong, take the crap jobs for as long as they're thrown at you but make sure everyone knows you're mad keen to learn. Expect to fetch and carry for a while, .

i feel i owe an apology to everyone here, it may have sounded a lot more prickish than i meant it too, what i means is with the joking about and jokes that are bound to be played on this young apprentice (is 32 young ??.....wellllll))....my real concern is really being put with a person that does not want to train an apprentice, much less a 32 year old one, and if thats the case, i will have to deal with it properly, i cant mortgage my future on a trainer who does not want to train,...anyway, thats all a what if and just in case....

but it was meant in good humor trev, honestly, i know im in for a lota donkey work, but i promise i will carry all my enthusiasm that i have had thus far at college on with me in tthis new ventue, im very very excited about it all!!

i hope that rushed use of wording did not change your opinion of me trev, as in the past i have came to you (and others on here) but often you for help, info and advice, and have always been very glad for whatever i can get and learn from you guys.

also, thought id let you all know,.....i passed my level 3 plumbing yesterday,....by which i mean i changed our toilet seat, which is the same thing, so im told.....:yes::yes: .....

as always all, many thanks.

SPARK2B

It was taken as meant mate, you can continue to feel free to come to me for advice at any time.
BTW, you've also passed level 2 in wood butchery with that bog seat job.

It was taken as meant mate, you can continue to feel free to come to me for advice at any time.
BTW, you've also passed level 2 in wood butchery with that bog seat job.

IM......SUDDENLY FEELING OVER QUALIFIED!

oh did i mention i passed my 17th editiion booky wooky exam,....college gave us it free as sorry for all the F**k ups last year, we all passed, so that made us feel better, got a ÂŁ400 course / exam for freeeeeeeee....

happy days!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to JOB OFFER (-: (opinions and info please) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net