Discuss Joint cables inside back box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

On the subject of wagos
Anyone who has never use a wagobox/connectors please please give them a try you dont know what you are missing out on.
Picture this: 4 T&E's and 2 3 cores hanging out of a 70mm downlighter hole all need connecting together in an enclosure that will fit back through that hole.......major headache right...not with a wagobox and connectors. Literally takes about 10 minutes and only tool you need is cutters, no tape no drivers nothing.
Awesome awesome awesome

.... Or if you only want it to take 3 minutes use the LINE enclosure and connectors... Even fits through a 2" hole! Click on sponsorship link for more info.

Hey guitarist!!! I emailed my MP about paying towards the part P nonsense I had a response from him and he sent on my email to who ever it was in Westminster, my email included 4 weeks to become an electrician.
The response was "no the competent persons do short courses to top up on their knowledge and they show their competence and sign up for the part p. so even this minister is dilluded and doesn't know what's going on!!! The law my arse, I will scan the letter and post it in a new thread soon

Let me know the thread. Would like to see that :)

I remember the Courtyard, big white building beside the river had a cocktail bar upstairs and topless barmaids on a sunday lunch...lost me on the Coach House though (unless it's the same place).

Paul Taylors is still here...only dedicated electrical appliance store we still have.

Think the Bass House is now closed down...gonna have to double check on that later (definitely changed hands afew times)

Hey guitarist!!! I emailed my MP about paying towards the part P nonsense I had a response from him and he sent on my email to who ever it was in Westminster, my email included 4 weeks to become an electrician.
The response was "no the competent persons do short courses to top up on their knowledge and they show their competence and sign up for the part p. so even this minister is dilluded and doesn't know what's going on!!! The law my arse, I will scan the letter and post it in a new thread soon
not deluded sedg....just like the others down`t big `ouse.....ignorant and self promoting....

Thanks for the reply
And no I'm one of those domestic installers that people on this site seem to dislike.
I double checked safe zones and from what I can make out its a straight run either vertically or horizontally unless there is suitable mechanical protection.
and yes I know that anything less than 50mm must be RCD protected. But there was no mention of any protection. That's why I asked the question.
This is a bit lame but I'm struggling to re-word my question to get a better reply.
but thanks anyway.

I may be missing something here but are you meant to be going across and then doing a 90 degree turn. How is the next person going to know about about the turn if you get my drift.

They don't. The cables can change direction, but as long as the cables are always horizontally or vertically in line with any accessory, anyone should assume that there may be cables in that location. That's the theory, anyway.

A cable could run vertically down from an accessory, then horizontally in line with another accessory (nothing to do with that circuit), then vertically down to another accessory. However, if anyone pulled off the fronts to take a look at the cable entries, they might assume that the horizontal part of the run wasn't there, so although that route might be within the letter of the regs, you could argue that it's not in the spirit of the regs.

Last edited:
They don't. The cables can change direction, but as long as the cables are always horizontally or vertically in line with any accessory, anyone should assume that there may be cables in that location. That's the theory, anyway.

A cable could run vertically down from an accessory, then horizontally in line with another accessory (nothing to do with that circuit), then vertically down to another accessory. However, if anyone pulled off the fronts to take a look at the cable entries, they might assume that the horizontal part of the run wasn't there, so although that route might be within the letter of the regs, you could argue that it's not in the spirit of the regs.
everyone apart from dozy kitchen fitters that is....

They use safe zones as meaning "safe to drill" I think....
stood there and watched one do it a while back....just underneath a switch front...it was just straight through with a 5.5 before i could stop him....as it was he missed the cable i knew dropped down vertically from that switch..it was lucky....honestly...some of em are bloody useless....

The speed some of these guys "work" just leaves me speechless...bish, bash, bosh...
Then there are the ones who are carpenters by trade and it's a joy to watch.

The speed some of these guys "work" just leaves me speechless...bish, bash, bosh...
Then there are the ones who are carpenters by trade and it's a joy to watch.
yes but all kitchen fitters have to do is knock up some flat-pack boxes....then hang em on the wall...or stand em on little feet that adjust for level....but you try talking anything technical with em....i have loads of fun going on to em about flourescents and leading n laggin n all that lot...gets em everytime...their faces just go blank...lol....

yes but all kitchen fitters have to do is knock up some flat-pack boxes....then hang em on the wall...or stand em on little feet that adjust for level....but you try talking anything technical with em....i have loads of fun going on to em about flourescents and leading n laggin n all that lot...gets em everytime...their faces just go blank...lol....

Haha. Explain to them how lightening actually travels up, not down. That's usually fun :)

i rewired a bungalow a few years ago, the owner decided to have a new extension built onto the back for a new kitchen, the kitchen fitter/s did the wiring--
i went back to do a different job and noticed this
i had a look behind some sockets --no problem, well installed but--
the whole area was on a radial w/machine/oven/everything, the radial was joint boxed onto my ringmain leg just inside the old part

Now excuse me If I'm wrong but everyone moaning about kitchen fitters drilling their cables, you do measure out a kitchen with all the units so you KNOW where they unit fixing lines are? If you don't then it's kinda your fault but if not no worries

Reply to Joint cables inside back box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net