Discuss Kitchen sockets issue. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, can I ask if anyone has ever had a problem like this.
i was called to a property tonight, the tenant had turned on their kettle and it had switched off at boiling point but continued to boil.
They have tried 4 other kettles and they've all done the same thing.
ive tested the circuit, a 16A radial for the kitchen, and there is nothing unusual.
However there is no earth to the property, I was unable to gain a Ze reading.
i'm returning tomorrow to install an earth rod but will this solve the problem?

This is a new problem to me.
If anyone could shed any light I'd be massively grateful.

James

All electrical work undertaken, no job too big or too small. Fully qualified electrician. Customers got 4 kettles. TNS supply but I,m going to put an earth rod in. Don't humour the guy any more please.

OP. easy solution. take the frigging kettle/s off the gas hob.

Tns......

If it is an TNS supply then it must have an earth connection. There's not much point going through the hassle of setting up a decent earth electrode network when you've got an earth connection supplied!

Unless of course your idea of an earth electrode is a single rod with a ridiculously high Ra?

Where, exactly, did you attach your test leads when trying to measure the Zs?

Which test instrument did you use and what did it show on the display?

Last edited:
I had a customer once tell me their iron would never heat up properly when plugged in to one particular socket, but everything else worked fine on this socket. Tested fine, conclusion do-lally customer!

Have you seen at least two of these kettles continuing to boil? If only word of mouth then the customer is probably mad, if you have then it's witchcraft and best to get the duck out of there!

Edit: the lack of any earthing probably points to witchcraft also.

Last edited:

Reply to Kitchen sockets issue. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net