Discuss Light always on since light change in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

delooney

Hi all,

Another newbie to the site here, I'm hoping to look for some answers to some questions, and in the future looking for a local sparky for quotes on a new extension.

One question to start:

I have recently taken a Dunelm rose light fitting down and replaced with a bog-standard one from B&Q, however, the light stays on no matter the wall switch status. I'm sure I kept the wires/colours to the junction box the same.

I didn't keep the Dunelm light, so couldn't go back to check. I have checked the switch by replacing with another in the house, but get the same results.

Pic attached shows the wiring.

Thanks,

View attachment 35163

You've got the switched lives mixed with the permanent lives.

Without test gear you're not going to be able to tell. A 5min job for a local electrician. Wont cost the earth.

Why aren't you using the terminals on the light fitting

Does it go bang when you switch on the light?

Why aren't you using the terminals on the light fitting

Does it go bang when you switch on the light?
He has the brown in the permanent live. Blue to the two blacks and brown to the single black. As Rob says get an electrician in to fit it correctly as I am assuming my method is correct.

as westy said.should work if you move the brown to the single black and shove the blue in the block with 2 blacks. better though his next post for losing the blocks. if that's beyond your capabilities, then a spark's call-out would be around £35- £45 to make sure it;s right and safe.

The advert was covering this up, sorry:

Why, because this is what I found, so decided to keep the existing :)

But the existing is wrong and non-compliant with the regulations, why would you choose to keep this with its increased fire risk?

But the existing is wrong and non-compliant with the regulations, why would you choose to keep this with its increased fire risk?

Agreed! But I was not aware until this thread :)

Strange as all the lights in the house have blocks in and all the others I've replaced when we moved a few weeks ago, with no issues except this. They'd [the previous owners] even spent 1000's on the electrics too!! I will get someone out.It does seem there's not much cable 'up there' to make it easy (but I doubt that's a legit excuse!).

Thanks all.

Agreed! But I was not aware until this thread :)

Strange as all the lights in the house have blocks in and all the others I've replaced when we moved a few weeks ago, with no issues except this. They'd [the previous owners] even spent 1000's on the electrics too!! I will get someone out.It does seem there's not much cable 'up there' to make it easy (but I doubt that's a legit excuse!).

Thanks all.
it's just that those terminal blocks pushed up into the ceiling are potentially dangerous. they have "live" terminals not enclosed.

it's just that those terminal blocks pushed up into the ceiling are potentially dangerous. they have "live" terminals not enclosed.
There would also be non-sheathed cables not contained or within any enclosure in addition to the exposed live parts. It's wrong on a number of levels.

Reply to Light always on since light change in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock