Discuss Light Switch 2 Gang 2 Way, light switch crackling & Earth Wire question (DIY) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I was experiencing some crackling when turning our kitchen lights on (2 gang 2way). I opened up the light switch to see if there was any obvious issues such as loose wires and I noticed the one loose earth wire. One earth wire to the light switch was wired to the casing and other earth wire, (containing 2 solid wires), only one was connected properly to the light switch. See pictures. My questions are: this loose earth wire, could this be causing the crackling sound when we turn on the light switch? Secondly, was this earth wire intentionally not connected to the light switch as its not required? If it wasn't required, wouldn't it have made sense to tape it up or something to make it obvious it wasn't required. Or has it just slipped out and should really be connected and could reconnecting it solve my crackling sound issue? Or I might just need a new light switch as its simply worn out which is causing the crackling sound but will be faced with the same question about the loose earth wire when I come to rewire the new light switch. If this loose earth wasn't loose, there really wouldn't such a big deal as I would simply copied the wiring over to the new light switch. I'm just rather curious about this loose wire. Skill Level - I've mostly changed ceiling lighting around the house but first time faced with a light switch issue. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200724_151605.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200724_152015.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 37
Hello everybody,

I was experiencing some crackling when turning our kitchen lights on (2 gang 2way). I opened up the light switch to see if there was any obvious issues such as loose wires and I noticed the one loose earth wire. One earth wire to the light switch was wired to the casing and other earth wire, (containing 2 solid wires), only one was connected properly to the light switch. See pictures. My questions are: this loose earth wire, could this be causing the crackling sound when we turn on the light switch? Secondly, was this earth wire intentionally not connected to the light switch as its not required? If it wasn't required, wouldn't it have made sense to tape it up or something to make it obvious it wasn't required. Or has it just slipped out and should really be connected and could reconnecting it solve my crackling sound issue? Or I might just need a new light switch as its simply worn out which is causing the crackling sound but will be faced with the same question about the loose earth wire when I come to rewire the new light switch. If this loose earth wasn't loose, there really wouldn't such a big deal as I would simply copied the wiring over to the new light switch. I'm just rather curious about this loose wire. Skill Level - I've mostly changed ceiling lighting around the house but first time faced with a light switch issue. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Mate may I respectfully advise that you get an Electrician in to sort your problem, I think you have gone as far as you can, and well done for that , but you need some expert help, good luck and if you can let the forum know how you got.\/get on.

the loose earth wire should be in with the other earth wires. it looks as if there are 2 in 1 sleeve, but that's OK. just reconnect all into the earth terminal. however, this will not cause the crackling problem. that would be either a loose wire in the switch terminals, or the switch itself.replace switch and ensure all connections are sound. obviously isolate circuit before starting. if in doubt, do as pete says and call in a sparks.

Mate may I respectfully advise that you get an Electrician in to sort your problem, I think you have gone as far as you can, and well done for that , but you need some expert help, good luck and if you can let the forum know how you got.\/get on.
Many thanks for replying to my question Pete. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
[automerge]1595869404[/automerge]
the loose earth wire should be in with the other earth wires. it looks as if there are 2 in 1 sleeve, but that's OK. just reconnect all into the earth terminal. however, this will not cause the crackling problem. that would be either a loose wire in the switch terminals, or the switch itself.replace switch and ensure all connections are sound. obviously isolate circuit before starting. if in doubt, do as pete says and call in a sparks.
Many thanks for replying to my question. I did think this loose wire wasn't the issue but the light switch itself that needed replacing. I did isolate circuit before I started examining light switch, rule number 1 before doing any electrical work! :) I feel competent enough to change over the light switch. I will update this board with my progress as Pete requested.

Last edited:
take a photo of the connections before disconnecting. so many don't, then get confused which wire goes where.

Many thanks for replying to my question Pete. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
[automerge]1595869404[/automerge]

Many thanks for replying to my question. I did think this loose wire wasn't the issue but the light switch itself that needed replacing. I did isolate circuit before I started examining light switch, rule number 1 before doing any electrical work! :) I feel competent enough to change over the light switch. I will update this board with my progress as Pete requested.
Be careful some idiot MAY HAVE USED THE CPC AS A LIVE CONDUCTOR, hence my reply to get a Spark in to check your installation out.

Crackling from switches is normally the switch failing.
Before doing anything please isolate the circuit by turning of the relevant circuit breaker or pull the fuse if it’s an old board.

Crackling from switches is normally the switch failing.
Before doing anything please isolate the circuit by turning of the relevant circuit breaker or pull the fuse if it’s an old board.
The poster NEEDS to get an ELECTRICIAN INVOVED before he does himself an injury. all very well advising as you see is right, but not all DIYers are savvy to the dangers of live lectrics

looking at OP'sphoto, the "loose" cpc is in earth sleeving with another cpc. however, he does appear to have an unsleeved blue in the switch terminal. bad, but not inherently dangerous.

The poster NEEDS to get an ELECTRICIAN INVOVED before he does himself an injury. all very well advising as you see is right, but not all DIYers are savvy to the dangers of live lectrics
He's already taken the switches off the wall, hopefully he isolated before doing that if not my advice might have guided the OP in the right direction. No need to shout either.

Reply to Light Switch 2 Gang 2 Way, light switch crackling & Earth Wire question (DIY) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net