Discuss lighting supplied via 13A plug and scokets in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

How many times have you seen Metal Trunking with the lids removed and cables hanging eh?
Look lets nip it now shall we as long as PVC trunking is: sized correctly, used in the correct conditions, meets with all the IP restaints correct accessories used and is a complete installation, nothing to stop you using single conductors

We have more than a few area's where we have high and low bay lighting, those fittings are also supplied by via trunking incorporating plug and socket arrangements. Our Installations are purely for ease of future maintenance and/or replacement/removal. We don't use fuse protected outlets (UK 13A style) but even if we did, the fuse is there to protect the connecting flexible cable, NOT the light fitting. ....And Yes, all was installed in metal containment systems...lol!!

This method of providing power to light fittings was standard practice at all the companies factories that i did my training with, both high level and under the lines, the latter using non standard pin 13A socket outlets.... In fact when i come to think about it, literally everything was on plug and socket of one type or another, limit switches, motors, traveling pick-up/collectors on overhead bus systems to name but a few!! lol!!

This reminds me of an incident early on in my career,I knew the manager of a warehouse and they were having the racking redone and none of the lights were in the right place.Anyway the MD had a quote of about 15k to rewire the whole set up,I went in with a price of 2.5 k to relocate the fittings,the MD was a bit peed off that I,d quoted lower than the other guy who was obviously some relation of his,so he had to give me the job but thought I'd misquoted,not a chance.All that was needed was replace the half metre of flex on each fitting with a metre and move them over.The other guy was talking two weeks and a warehouse shutdown,I did it over 5 evenings starting at 6pm working till 9pm,nice little earner that was,especially as they supplied the scissor lift.

Reply to lighting supplied via 13A plug and scokets in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net