Currently reading:
Looking at retraining and need advice

Discuss Looking at retraining and need advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PaulM

(copied from gen forums, think posted in wrong place there!)

Hi all!

First post so please be gentle :)

Basically I've worked in IT/Retail Management for around 12 years, company went under 2-3 years ago and I've been seeing out the recession the last couple of years in a 20k "it'll do" job (mortgage has to be paid sadly!).

However, at 36, I recognise that I do not want to be doing this for the next 20yrs and nor do I want to return to my previous career in management or even IT Support (was looking at progressing to MCSE level but I'm really sick of computers!).

So, one love I've always had is of all things electrical, it's something I've always had in the back of my mind but through lack of focus at school/college, never got the chance to pursue (and didn't really have anyone there to give me the guidance/advice/kick up the backside I needed).

Having spoken to my local college today, who first suggested doing an HNC in electrical/engineering, one of the tutors suggested going for the basic installer qualy (think was the 2330 - Southampton City College : 2330 Electrotechnical Technology (B00948)). I'll be looking at doing evening/day release through college although understand this course has now changed to a newer vers.

I'm really looking for advice (I've read many other posts on here but wanted something more personal if that's ok) on where to start. I'm not expecting to go into this just to earn great money, I want to do it because I want to enjoy the rest of my career in a field of work I genuinely respect and have a passion for. Can anyone give an impression of what type of what to expect when starting out? (other than making the sparky tea all day! :)

Whilst I think that age may count against me to a degree (with regards to employment) I also think it is a benefit in terms of my professional background and in todays day and age I'm sure there would be employers willing to take on someone slightly older, hard working & professional with direct customer service experience and business/operations experience too. Coming from an IT background I'm very technical down to component level/installations so hope that will also go in my favour.

Your advice is greatly appreciated :)

Paul​

One could say that the voltage measured at the neutral terminal of a socket in respect to earth would be nominally zero.
If measuring the voltage across Line to Neutral (on an open circuit) the value noted would be 230V but this is the voltage of the Line with respect to Neutral.
So the potential difference between Line and Neutral is 230V, the potential difference between Line and Earth is 230V. Therefore the potential difference between Neutral and Earth is 230V-230V =0V.

Just to confuse the issue, on a three phase circuit we talk about 400V but this is the potential difference between two Lines, not with respect to earth. Each Line with respect to earth is 230V. On three phase it is not simple addition it is vector addition, which you will no doubt cover later.

im 30 and i went back to college to do the 2330s. Ended up getting an apprenticeship by the skin of my teeth and after 13 months of looking. If youre in the energy industry apply to eon (or any other national company that does apprenticeships) in january, they like mature candidates. You will have to survive on a rather low income for 3-4 years though. I dont want to be negative but if i was 40+ and had management experience, i would be looking more into doing an electrical engineering degree with a uni or open university. I spent 2 years doing 2330 levels 2 and 3 and a year looking for an apprenticeship. In that time i could have completed a degree in electrical engineering and opened up a huge amount of doors for myself. Even when you get your 2330 level 3 and have to do work based training to get the nvq youre still only going to be paid peanuts for your apprenticeship (minimum apprenticeship wage if £2.50 per hour even if your 45) I thought ild be lapped up. Im 30, management experience, all distinctions in my exams, great cv, hard worker, articulate, degree level education but noone wanted me because i didnt have onsite experience. I would also question whether you really want to be doing electrical installation right up until you retire. My career plan is that i end up in a technician role or testing and inspection role for my last 10-15 years. the last thing ild want to be doing when im 65 is lugging a massive SWA around :/ And if you were to just do the domestic electrical installer courses then there will be lots of stuff you still wont be able to do even with part p, 2392 and the regs. its vicious out there. it really is :( I dont think people are being negative, i think people are trying to paint a realistic picture of how tough it is so that others can make informed choices. Wanting a career change is great. I havent read all 9 pages of this thread but i really think that deciding to do the 2330 levels 2 and 3 at your age then hoping a local company will give you an apprenticeship is unrealistic. It sounds like a great plan but i dont agree on that particular route if thats the one youve chosen. Especially considering there are better routes to go.

Hey thanks for your post, I'm not intending to do an apprenticeship that's just paying £2.50 per hour and I'm not sure where you get that ridiculous number from - the company I work for now pay £14-15,000 starting wage and increase to £18,000 after 18 months - then progressing to £28,000.

Not intending to work sites until I retire either, I'll see exactly where I go once qualified, but will most likely be setting up my own business at some point further down the line.

Electrical engineering was something I looked at, but not what I want to do. From what I could tell, that focuses more on the design/management/operation side of things.

And I'm 36 not 40+ :p also I don't want to go and work as a manager for someone else; I have my own management style and have had enough of dealing with poor managers in higher positions, hence I need to be my own boss.

It's good that you managed to get an apprenticeship, but I also have some friends that run their own carpentry businesses but employ sparkies to do the electrical side of their installations, so thats a possible option to.

The domestic installers course is not something I chose for the exact reasons you listed, hence I'll be getting fully qualified through my chosen route.

But regardless of how long it took you to achieve this, what qualies you have, whether even I as a manager would employ you as an employee (based on how you present yourself not just bits of paper - which can easily sway a decision over someone qualified/retarded vs someone unqualified/buckets of common sense/savvy) you still achieved what you set out to do.

I can handle a few years of crap money, and fully expect to be on a low income whilst I do this, but i'm a long term thinker - if you read the full thread you'll see I could easily stay in IT and do further courses in that and earn 35-40k - but i'm sick of working in IT :)

(we also have 2-3 people on the course with diploma's in electrical/engineering needing to do the 2330+ because the work they want to do - their qualification is no good for).

Last edited by a moderator:
The National Minimum Wage rates : Directgov - Employment Sorry its gone up to £2.60. They can pay you that for the first year of your apprentice regardless of your age, and they do pay that. After the first year then the minimum wage kicks in. Having been at college for two years and looked for an apprenticeship for 13 months I know that if companies can pay people £2.50 they do. £95 per week or £100 per week is more common than yould think. The apprenticeship i have with a national company pays a decent wage. Quite a few of the day release apprentices got £100 per week while doing their 2330 level 3. And to be honest, theres so many people doing 2330 now that people holding out for £10 an hour just for completing the 2330 level 3 are either very lucky, well connected or just deluding themselves.

You speak sense bob, but Paul won't listen. It's like he's got his fingers in his ears and he's screaming la la laaaa :D
He knows the economy will pick up, he knows he will get work but he knows it won't be easy and he also knows it's long term not short term despite every bit of advice given he knows....you know?
I wish you all the best Paul, but seriously you do sound rather arrogant with your know it all persona. This is the reason the thread is probably the longest over on re-training. A lot of folk have given you advice and you just shove it off, I wish I had your optimism :D

well i hope hes right. it was so upsetting to be faced with not getting an apprenticeship which was very much a reality for a while. Luckily i landed on my feet for once in my life. But to see other people work so hard and not get through is heartbreaking. So even if he is a tad over-confident, i really hope it works out as i hope it works out for me and all the others who are trying to better themselves in a system that really doesnt reward people trying to better themselves

Hey thanks for your post, I'm not intending to do an apprenticeship that's just paying £2.50 per hour and I'm not sure where you get that ridiculous number from - the company I work for now pay £14-15,000 starting wage and increase to £18,000 after 18 months - then progressing to £28,000.

Not intending to work sites until I retire either, I'll see exactly where I go once qualified, but will most likely be setting up my own business at some point further down the line.

Electrical engineering was something I looked at, but not what I want to do. From what I could tell, that focuses more on the design/management/operation side of things.

And I'm 36 not 40+ :p also I don't want to go and work as a manager for someone else; I have my own management style and have had enough of dealing with poor managers in higher positions, hence I need to be my own boss.

It's good that you managed to get an apprenticeship, but I also have some friends that run their own carpentry businesses but employ sparkies to do the electrical side of their installations, so thats a possible option to.

The domestic installers course is not something I chose for the exact reasons you listed, hence I'll be getting fully qualified through my chosen route.

But regardless of how long it took you to achieve this, what qualies you have, whether even I as a manager would employ you as an employee (based on how you present yourself not just bits of paper - which can easily sway a decision over someone qualified/retarded vs someone unqualified/buckets of common sense/savvy) you still achieved what you set out to do.

I can handle a few years of crap money, and fully expect to be on a low income whilst I do this, but i'm a long term thinker - if you read the full thread you'll see I could easily stay in IT and do further courses in that and earn 35-40k - but i'm sick of working in IT :)

(we also have 2-3 people on the course with diploma's in electrical/engineering needing to do the 2330+ because the work they want to do - their qualification is no good for).

David_Brent_111.jpg

Actually, i've read and listened to everything everyone has written on here, so please (others) leave your stupidity out of it - and i do appreciate most things that people have written.

Fact is, at the moment I can afford to do this, i'm betting on things picking up in 2-3 years, probably 5 - I don't see what's hard to understand about that, just look at how things have gone over the last few decades.

It's hard if you're coming on to this thread and reading the last post and going "haha lalalala thinks he knows it all" - i'll be the first to admit i do not and actually know very little about the industry - i don't work in it - yet.

But I'm confident that with hard study and hard work - I will make it work - if you can't accept that purely as someone being determined and driven, then that's up to you.

End of the day, I got through some very tough times with my sanity in tact, without the need to go off with "stress" or "sickness" or whatever excuse you want to rely on to get out of the way of lifes **** - my kids are my driving force, anyone that has them will understand this - and that is why I am so confident that i will MAKE it work.

I do not expect things to fall into my lap - if it doesn't work out, then that's my own fault, but at the end of the day I've lost nothing by trying.

(ps you may as well lock this thread - i started college this week and am loving it :D)

End of the day, I got through some very tough times with my sanity in tact, without the need to go off with "stress" or "sickness" or whatever excuse you want to rely on to get out of the way of lifes ****

real men cry paul,sometimes people suffer from stress and sickness,its not a failure in life to suffer those problems,ive done all three doesnt mean your less of a man..

i'm not saying it does, and if you've been there then I feel for you, but don't take what I say personally. I've gotten through some very tough/dark times too, but my reaction to that is to take on more and fight back even harder.

I don't understand people that consistently look at the negatives in life - in fact I find those people unbearable - within the 1,000s of responses on this thread, there ARE stories from some who took the chance, retrained and MADE IT WORK - it wasn't easy - but they did it.

Reply to Looking at retraining and need advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Courses

This is the main Electrical Courses at ElectriciansForums.net. Find local recommended electricians courses. Avoid training "company" scams. Always go view the training centre before booking any electrical courses.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock