Discuss Lost Neutral on 3 Phase system - how do you calculate the effect on line voltage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I know the effect of a lost neutral (floating neutral) on a 3 phase system, and the theory of why the line voltages can vary.

However, I have been attempting to show this by calculating the line voltages of a phase system at given loads on each phase.

Lets say:- Red 296 Amps, Yellow 279 Amps and Blue 219 Amps.

How do I take these loads and the known 3phase voltage @ 400V and calculate the individual line voltages in a lost neutral situation?

I hope i'm making sense.

To show the varying line voltages you can plot it as a phasor diagram then use Millmans Theorum to calc the voltages wrt supply neutral. There's other mathematical methods but they can get messy unless you're a bit of a math whizz.

I'll see if I can find a link to an explanation that doesn't go too deep into technicalities.

**edit here's a quick explainer

Reply to Lost Neutral on 3 Phase system - how do you calculate the effect on line voltage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

When I joined this forum a decade or so back, there was a discussion going on about a welder that was connected with a 3-core cable to L1, L2 and...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post here. I have a little experience with most types of household wiring through a decade of DIY remodeling, and...
Replies
Views
I have a 230 Volt single-phase circuit with a 100 Amp cutout fuse and a 100 Amp MCB switch, so the supply is rated at 23 kVA. Only about 13% of...
Replies
Views
D
I understand how to calculate the current in the neutral conductor on an unbalanced three phase installation, however am struggling to grasp how...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone my name is Tarek, i work as a concert and show lighting operator with over 20 years of experience in this field, so i have gained...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock