Discuss mains change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leekemp85

I need to change a mains board in order to be up to regs and to show the nic. is it just a case upgrading tails and bonding. or will smoke alarms need to be wired and bathroom lights on there own circuit. I have not yet take the 17th edition course.

many thanks

You need to do one notifiable and one none notifiable job so long as the premises are the same or in better condition than when you started you should be ok. Dont forget all the books and paperwork that you will need as well.

Good luck

Chris

I need to change a mains board in order to be up to regs and to show the nic. is it just a case upgrading tails and bonding. or will smoke alarms need to be wired and bathroom lights on there own circuit. I have not yet take the 17th edition course.

many thanks
Bathroom lights don't need to be on there own circuit.Have you already got smoke alarms installed.If you have, don't worry about it.I normally put smokes on a designated circuit,but it's up to the individual.You can run them off existing lighting circuit but make sure they are interconnected:D

You do not need to install smokes or put bathroom lighting on their own circuit as your new CU will have the RCD protection required.

No need to upgrade main incoming, although if possible i would try and upgrade the main earth if you can.

what if you install new smoke alarms do they then have to have their own circuit?, i was under the impression they do.
When i done my 17th i was told by my tutor that you can connect smokes to an existing lighting circuit that is used frequently,ie landing and hallway.But the company i work for always uses a designated circuit.Each to his own mate.There is no wrong way or right way:D

Doh!

i really do need some new eyes.

As above really, although i would put smokes on the lighting.

If they are on their own MCB, there is a chance that this may go un noticed if it trips, as everything else will still operate.

They wont leave a lighting MCB tripped out for long!

As far as the discussion of supplies for smoke / heat alarms I am totally in agreement with Jason, and it is the method I use..otherwise inevitably the independant mcb will be switched off leaving the circuit without mains power.....true the units will still operate for a considerable time on the internal battery [if still in a charged state], but somewhere down the line those units will end up totally without any power and inoperative.

As for the c.u change the NICEIC will expect to see an EIC .....therefore any faults on the existing installation will have to be rectified first.......a P.I.R before the c.u swap is strongly recommended.

Remenber this work is notifiable !

thanks for all the advise i really needed it as the firm I worked for when bankrupted last week and the nic told me they needed to see a notifiable work I have done so I need it to be up to 17th edition. and i haven't took the course yet I don't want to make any mistakes

Dont worry about it to much and if you can let us all know how you got on. Make sure you can do your inspection and testing in the right order with confidence. Ask them or us what paperwork you need if you are not sure.

Best of luck

Chris

The smokes always used to be on a local lighting circuit, but I think that was dropped as a reg, the idea behind it being on a lighting circuit was so that it could not be turned off when the damn things start beeping, I am still in favour of this from a safety point of view

Reply to mains change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net