Discuss Mains Extension in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

kallen100

Just fitted a new Consumer unit on a TN-C-S arrangement to replace very old fuse board, all went very smooth except for terminating the mains PE to the CU, it needs to be about 10cm longer as I don’t want to over stretch the cable. My question is; can I use a terminal block to extend the PE? If so what type of terminal block do I use? I need everything to be within Regs so when I call the Sparkie to test and certify to Part P, I won’t have to pay him to make any changes.
Just to add; the above install is in a property I’m refurbishing and is isolated at the meter. I don’t want anyone worrying that the CU is live without earth to the meter :eek:
Thanks in advance of any help.

i assume you mean the main earth . why not just buy a pisce long enough and replace it?

Ok I will just replace it then, can I use any 16mm2 single
core earth conductor? And I assume there is a duct of some sort running from
the earth block in the meter cabinet to the CU and I just feed it through?

Thanks for your help so far guys

how far away is the meter cabinet ? can you use the existing cable as a pull through? if it's too difficult a job, there's nothing wrong with a permanent joint as long as it's a good joint.

Hi Telectrix, the meter is on the otherside of the wall, so should only be about 2 - 3m. when you refer to a permanent joint, do you meant crimped or can i use a chock block? although i think i will replace the cable. one last thing, do i use just STD 16mm earth?

thanks again.

get some 16mm sigle green/yellow from local wholesalers. you can buy it by the yard ( sorry meter ) . you'll probably fint that the tails are just run through the cavity, but it may be a bitch to pull through. if you are joining, use a proper crimp, NOT choc block. 1 other point. is the existing earth cable 16mm. if not, then you'll have to replace it.

Yes the existing is 16mm but I will have a go at replacing
rather than mess around with crimping. Hopefully I can use the existing earth
to pull it through.

thanks telectrix

attach 16mm new to old and try to pull through slowly if i gets stuck pull back but take your time or it may get stuck in the cavity does it come from the cavity direct into ccu

yes thats the stuff if it didnt come direct then you could have installed a seperate MET block outside the ccu and terminate in that then new piece from there to the ccu but if its tight in ccu and direct from cavity then not a option eh mate
the cable in the link is the one you need

no worries mate just hit the thanks button for everyone who has provided useful info thats all you need to do and then people will help in any way they can
good luck mate hope its easy for you

Reply to Mains Extension in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock