Discuss Mounting a sconce that requires a smaller than standard junction box in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase this sconce, though to my dismay it appears to need a smaller outlet box than standard:

Bryant Sconce - https://www.circalighting.com/bryant-sconce-tob2022/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsZj7xduq6AIViJOzCh188Q4DEAkYASABEgL8mvD_BwE

Installation Instructions

The electrician already put in 4" square junction boxes, though the walls are still open for the moment so I suppose they could be replaced. I'd rather not have to deal with my unpleasant electrician though, so I'm hoping there are options here for me.

Can this be addressed with some sort of universal mounting bracket?

I'm assuming the issue is the backplate on the sconce is smaller than the hole in the wall that would be left by the 4" junction box. I have a very tight space and really love this style. Any ideas would be most welcome.

over here, we would not use a junction box, we'd have just a small connector block or wagos behind the baseplate, below plaster level, so the baseplate would cover everything, and the connection would be accessible just by dropping the fitting.

This is the J-box. Maybe it is octagonal, not square in case that changes anything.

On the diagonal it is 4", side to side is 3.5". Sconce back plate is 4" round.

Is this appropriate for a sconce with a round back plate?

Attachments

• 60650152235__46B4CAD1-7A1B-4B70-9859-B8C9E2547FD1.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 12
That's an expensive wall light ! But anyway, it may be possible to still use that box [very strange looking contraption compared to UK methods] but perhaps fit a decorative wooden pattress on the finished wall surface over the box and mount the light on that ? Just a thought.

over here, we would not use a junction box, we'd have just a small connector block or wagos behind the baseplate, below plaster level, so the baseplate would cover everything, and the connection would be accessible just by dropping the fitting.

I've always fitted architrave boxes behind wall light fittings whenever possible.
This is one area the Americans are definately ahead of us, they fit boxes for the connections instead of this chopping little holes in the plaster to stuff connectors into nonsense.

Apart from in this case Dave where the box is too big for the backplate of the fitting, I've often fitted architrave boxes in the past too, even 20mm conduit end boxes when you're sure the wall light will be big enough to cover it and still get good fixings. A lot of the problem is poorly designed wall lights too with no connecting space in them.

I'm looking to purchase this sconce, though to my dismay it appears to need a smaller outlet box than standard:

Bryant Sconce - https://www.circalighting.com/bryant-sconce-tob2022/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsZj7xduq6AIViJOzCh188Q4DEAkYASABEgL8mvD_BwE

Installation Instructions

The electrician already put in 4" square junction boxes, though the walls are still open for the moment so I suppose they could be replaced. I'd rather not have to deal with my unpleasant electrician though, so I'm hoping there are options here for me.

Can this be addressed with some sort of universal mounting bracket?

I'm assuming the issue is the backplate on the sconce is smaller than the hole in the wall that would be left by the 4" junction box. I have a very tight space and really love this style. Any ideas would be most welcome.
Hi Jacklyn - This is so funny. I, too, purchased four of these wall sconces and love them, and the 4" holes that have already been made in the walls are too big and the light fixture's backplate fits right inside - not good!! Amazingly, I also have an unpleasant electrician who blames me (not incorrectly) for every mistake! Did you find a fix for this? I have ordered some parts that I think migh twork together as a fix.

Reply to Mounting a sconce that requires a smaller than standard junction box in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net