Discuss Multimeter Help in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

eskimo39

Hi guys, I am currently on my 2330 course and am currently applying for work as an electricians mate or labourer. I felt it would be a bigger advantage to own all my own tools so I have bought all the main items inc drills, vde sets, saws etc. However I am now looking at a multimeter to use in both domestic and commercial work and am stuck between 2 different models. Does anyone here have any experience with either and also do you know which would be more pratical? The 2 models are:

• Fluke 117
  • Fluke T5-1000
Both seem to be around the same price with the 117 only £20 more. I have emailed Fluke for some advice but am yet to get a reply.

Thanks in advance

I use both the t5-1000 and the fluke 73 I could'nt be without either but it depends what you want, I use mine for faultfinding on machinery etc so I would have thought for installation/domestic industrial installs etc the t5-1000 would be perfect for you.

Personally I dont really see much need for you to get a DMM and a good voltage continuity tester is what you should be looking for, the ammeter on the t5-1000 is handy but how much will you use it? if I were you (and you could afford it) apparently there is a special offer from Fluke to get a free voltage/continuity tester with the 1650 series multifunction tester see here

17th Edition Special Offer Pack from Fluke by Fluke (UK) Ltd

I have seen the 1651 for £380 delivered with calib cert so if you can take advantage of the above deal then it may be worth considering

Last edited by a moderator:
eskimo
rarely get my avo out on commercial work just use voltage and continuity tester .
what type of work you looking at???

You'll be fine with the T5 tester!, does what you need. You might want to consider the fluke 1587 multimeter as it also has the advantage of a insulation tester!.
Hope this helps

I too use the Fluke T5 for basics - Voltage, Continuity, Ampage etc.

I use a Megger 1552 for cert testing and even though I have a multimeter can't remember the last time I got it out?

I also have an old Steinel which I used to use, but now use the T5.

The Fluke T5 is a great bit of kit.

Many thanks for all the responses. I have no experience yet in using a tester as I am currently only in my first year. The kind of work I am passionate about and want to get into once I complete my course is domestic and commercial installation.

I have decided to purchase a T5 which I have found online for £80 to use for basic readings.

However, you have now got me looking at the Fluke 1651.... am I running before I can walk?? I have never used one but am going to be shown how to use one over the next few weeks of my course. I also may have the chance to work for a local electrician a couple of days a week rewiring houses so it could be very useful.

Sorry to be so vague but I really want to give myself the best chance of finding work and have been given a bit of cash by my parents and am thinking of investing it in a good Multimeter to last the time.

Thanks again

The T5 is my day-to-day workhorse. It's pretty indestructible and inexpensive. That's what you need in an every-day meter. Save your fancy, expensive testers for specialized use, and keep them safely tucked away on the truck or at the shop until needed.

Reply to Multimeter Help in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock