Discuss Multimeter showing reading when nothing is plugged in in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just to be pedantic, if safe isolation is carried out do we need to use insulated tooling?
And if they need to be insulated shouldn't they be to BS EN IEC 60900 rather than an other countries specific VDE?
Don’t try and start a lengthy debate on New Year’s Eve - sit down and have a Vermouth! Happy New year.

In remembering face palming moments - I remember placing a household thermometer into a pan of boiling water only to find that the water was far hotter than the 37 degree max on the thermometer which exploded over the stove and ceiling. I was just glad it was the Red liquid filling and not the mercury. Anyways I’m still alive but still a bit embarrrassed!

Hi Klaud, and welcome, the tool kit someone has kindly bought you, is not really designed for Electrical installation work, more for an electronic hobbyist.

I do sometimes work on electronics as a hobby , but thank you for the advice , I'll most likely build my tool kit over time and learn from my mistakes.

Don’t try and start a lengthy debate on New Year’s Eve - sit down and have a Vermouth! Happy New year.

In remembering face palming moments - I remember placing a household thermometer into a pan of boiling water only to find that the water was far hotter than the 37 degree max on the thermometer which exploded over the stove and ceiling. I was just glad it was the Red liquid filling and not the mercury. Anyways I’m still alive but still a bit embarrrassed!
I remember load testing a 3 phase generator on a different load bank to one I was used to. It seemed to have dropped 2 phases so I set about fault finding and diagnosed the generator voltage regulator. I quickly changed it and asked a mate to operate the load bank while I watched the generator gauges. Everything was fine and my boss came over for a final check. I started the generator and turned the load bank switches. My mate pointed out I’d only operated 1 phase and you had to do them all independently on this loadbank. Right then he realised that I’d created the fault myself through incorrect use of the loadbank (as did I) as my boss congratulated me for a job well done.

My mate just gave me a disgusted look and walked away as I took the praise and never owned up until right now, 15 years later.

my biggest mistake was becoming a spark after turning down the offer of a commission in the RAF, I'd have retired @ 55 with a decent pension.

my biggest mistake was becoming a spark after turning down the offer of a commission in the RAF, I'd have retired @ 55 with a decent pension.
Ok from now on you will only be known, in my household, as Air Commodore Telectrix!
If you look at it in a positive way - you’d probably be dead and pickled by alcohol by now as you’d be on the ‘good’ stuff that you’d keep in the bottom right drawer of the mahogany desk in your war office!

I want to talk about the context to this first, I'm in my first year at college studying level 2 electrical installation and for Christmas my family got me a toolkit which had some tools , multimeter and a soldering iron. They didn't really know much about things like that and they wanted it to be a surprise so the quality isn't so good, here is the exact tool kit: ZD-961_Tool Kit_Products_Ningbo Zhongdi Industry & Trade Co., Ltd. - http://www.china-zhongdi.com/product/291.html

Okay so I was messing around with the multimeter, turned it to AC voltage, and measured a socket to see if it works. It did, came up with 233v. Then I wanted to measure the amps in the socket, so I changed it to the 10A max , put the test leads inside and theres a big flash , big boom and black around the black test lead and the socket.
I then look at the multimeter, switch it to "20 DC voltage"and it shows a reading although nothing is plugged in , same for "AC volatage" and "Amps" so far the ohms setting is normal.

Now I think what I did wrong, the AMPS had a DC symbol next to and I tried to measure AC or/and the socket is over 10A.

Is there a way to fix my multimeter, or am I better off getting a new one?
You aren't the first to make that mistake so just make sure you learn from it!! What you should learn from this experience is that you need to read and understand the document called GS38.
It really is VITAL reading for all electricians.

I want to talk about the context to this first, I'm in my first year at college studying level 2 electrical installation and for Christmas my family got me a toolkit which had some tools , multimeter and a soldering iron. They didn't really know much about things like that and they wanted it to be a surprise so the quality isn't so good, here is the exact tool kit: ZD-961_Tool Kit_Products_Ningbo Zhongdi Industry & Trade Co., Ltd. - http://www.china-zhongdi.com/product/291.html

Okay so I was messing around with the multimeter, turned it to AC voltage, and measured a socket to see if it works. It did, came up with 233v. Then I wanted to measure the amps in the socket, so I changed it to the 10A max , put the test leads inside and theres a big flash , big boom and black around the black test lead and the socket.
I then look at the multimeter, switch it to "20 DC voltage"and it shows a reading although nothing is plugged in , same for "AC volatage" and "Amps" so far the ohms setting is normal.

Now I think what I did wrong, the AMPS had a DC symbol next to and I tried to measure AC or/and the socket is over 10A.

You aren't the first to make that mistake so just make sure you learn from it!! What you should learn from this experience is that you need to read and understand the document called GS38.
It really is VITAL reading for all electricians.
Just goes to show, you should read the instructions! It would have told you DO NOT connect to mains in that mode.
Have you ever read any electronic instructions that have been translated from Japanese? I doubt Albert Einstein and Steven Hawkins could make sense of them

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned fused leads for multimeters.
I quickly learned about these when I joined the CEGB many years ago, you get some horrendous fault levels in power stations. They can save you from flashovers which cause dreadful burns or even death.
Get some decent leads and a set of fused prods. I know you can't use them when measuring current, but it's the odd occasion when we all forget we're on the Amps range when measuring volts, and of course a fault in a cheap unfused meter.
For the OP's benefit, your mishap was a priceless gift - a free lesson!
When using a meter, always double check the meter setting, and think twice about what you're measuring.
I guess you'll remember that for a long time!

I guess that means a couple mentioned GS38. I stand by my post - it's as important to stress the right leads as the right instrument and procedure. Instrument fuses don't protect poor leads, or connection mishaps.

Oh dear, that the end of that meter I think. Have you worked out why this has damaged the meter?

@Klaudmjj

Firstly, Bad news: you have killed your meter. Good news: Christmas is coming, maybe your family will buy you another one.*
Secondly,, before you do this again, read guides on how to use a meter, especially how to measure current. And there are lots of videos on YouTube. When measuring voltage you connect the probes in PARALLEL to the supply as you have done. When measuring current, the meter must go in SERIES with the conductor that you are measuring.
Look at your basic circuit theory that you should have done in the first term. You will see how it is done.
By connecting across the supply and selecting AMPS, you basically pushed 230V into the meter, and it has fried, died.

* When you get your new meter, as mentioned above, get one that complies with GS38. One feature is that the test leads are fused so that, should you make the same mistake again, you'll only have to replace a fuse and not the whole meter.
Also, many cheaper multimeters only provide the ability to measure DC current. Im not sure why you might want to, but should you want to measure mains current you will need a meter that can measure AC current. Most electricians dont do this using a conventional meter as you have to break the circuit to insert a current meter. A clamp meter is much better, and a lot safer, for current measurements.

Last edited:

Reply to Multimeter showing reading when nothing is plugged in in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net