Discuss My Panel in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

darkwood,

Yes BS7671 is not statute law, however, there are easy ways to breach statute law when designing & building machinery control panels & equipment that comes under 61439!

Edit & 60204!!!

Last edited:
no the panels are for fixed equipment, namely pumps (i work in the water industry). The MCC's i talk about include telemetry, PLC's with HMI's and all control wiring contained within the panel. So they are proper Motor Control Centres. They are not simply panelboards.

I hope you don't mind me throwing questions back at you, as I've said in very interested in this area.
The system is used to power borehole pumps which respond to telemetry commands from a remote point (head office). These pump into contact tanks to which chlorine is added. Other chemicals are added as required. The water is then pumped through aerators to add oxygen.
The water once treated is pumped to supply or reservoirs. This is done by using transducers. The pumps are protected by software (4-20mA transducers) and hard wired protection (pressure switches on suction&delivery).
the water is directed via rotork actuators using either 4-20ma or profibus.
Communication between the VSD's and the PLC is via either cat 5 or profibus. Digital control is usually used alongside the above.

What standard would you design the above to? Ie an overall standard (I'm aware that standards apply for VSDs ect)

its been a while since i done panels but all wiring was black with number/letters etc,except from the isolator to the main fuses which was red r/y/b,things might have changed tho i couldnt say..that was for bms and marine panels

Hi gents.

I dont know where or when a machine needs to comply with certain standards but can tell you which standards my company adheres to:

We follow EN 60204 for cable colours, pushbuttons, lamps etc

IEC 81346 for labelling of components

2006/42/EC for regulation regarding European Machinery

ISO 13849 for determining the safety performance level

http://www.moeller.net/binary/schabu/SB2011-10_online_EN.pdf

Hope that helps,

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to My Panel in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net