NICEIC Certification Scheme New QS requirements

Discuss New QS requirements in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

newfutile

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
New requirements to be a QS from 1st sep 2021 from what i can read here ( https://www.niceic.com/join-us/approved-contractor-scheme-(1)/eas-entry-requirements-april-21.aspx)

it would appear your need to have completed an apprenticeship or a mature assessment, does anyone have any ideas on what you need to be a QS ?

I have 2360 pt1 and 2 , am1 , 2391 (original) 16th,17th and 18th edition and have been a QS for 2 years with NICEIC but was not allowed to do an AM2 as i was told you need an apprenticeship at the time.

i guess it will remove all the 6 week courses applicants!

i guess it will remove all the 6 week courses applicants!
I don't think it will immediately remove them as my understanding is they will be given some time to catch up, I have seen 2 years mentioned but I'm not sure that is set in stone yet

As far as I'm aware, if you're an existing QS then you should be fine

Just had my third annual assessment with ELECSA which is transferring over to NICEIC. I’m only a domestic bodger ?. The assessor was of the view that there’ll be grandfathers rights for those currently registered. Said it’s likely to be a headache for those touting the short intensive courses. With a bit of luck there will be some sort of increased financial incentive for existing contractors to take on apprentices? Others on here will be far more qualified to comment on that.

Just had my third annual assessment with ELECSA which is transferring over to NICEIC. I’m only a domestic bodger ?. The assessor was of the view that there’ll be grandfathers rights for those currently registered. Said it’s likely to be a headache for those touting the short intensive courses. With a bit of luck there will be some sort of increased financial incentive for existing contractors to take on apprentices? Others on here will be far more qualified to comment on that.
Reading the various documents on the subject the grandfather rights may only exist for a few years to allow those below the new level to undertake the necessary training to bring themselves up to the new standard. From what I've read from September those being assessed will have to have a CPD / training policy in place so I'm not sure those below the level of the new standard will be able to sit back and carry on as normal

Reading the various documents on the subject the grandfather rights may only exist for a few years to allow those below the new level to undertake the necessary training to bring themselves up to the new standard. From what I've read from September those being assessed will have to have a CPD / training policy in place so I'm not sure those below the level of the new standard will be able to sit back and carry on as normal
Never pays to sit back. CPD for everything these days as things are always changing. Plus NICEIC run lots of nice courses just for that purpose. That’s why some time served sparks who did apprenticeships years ago will also not be up to scratch.

Never pays to sit back. CPD for everything these days as things are always changing. Plus NICEIC run lots of nice courses just for that purpose.
But the CPD stuff is mainly extra peripheral training that assumes that the underpinning knowledge is already in place
With regard to the NICEIC judging by what gets posted on here a CPD course on how to do an EICR and fill the cert in correctly would be a good start. With the way the NICEIC has destroyed this industry in the last 10 - 15 years I wouldn't trust anything they do
That’s why some time served sparks who did apprenticeships years ago will also not be up to scratch.
Why is it the new kids on the block are quick to criticise and put down the time served oldies who probably have more experience and knowledge than they will ever have. What surprises me is how quick some are to post up a problem and draw on the knowledge and experience to help them solve the problem
To say some may not be up to scratch may be down to the fact that they have spent many years working in a more specific industry sector it doesn't mean they are a bad spark this industry with the advent of quick training has become very narrow in it's outlook

I think your criticism of the NICEIC is very unfair. They play an essential role in maintaining standards and policing the electrical installation industry.
Put it this way : There’s a reason the rules are changing, and NICEIC’s (and others) former game of accepting virtually anyone that could get through an open-book 18th edition exam and blag 2 years experience have massively contributed to the appetite (and need) for the current changes.

As long as you your pt1&2 I can't see their being an issue. On the JIB website it used to also state that if you completed the 2360 before 1998 then a NVQ3 wasn't required, I think this is still in force but its not documented anymore.
I did my NVQ 3 around 2000 the technical part of the qualification back then was the 2360 pt1&2 NVQ3 back then was just a log book anyway.

I'm still surprised it took 17 years of complaints for the EAS to put pressure on the CPS schemes.

I think your criticism of the NICEIC is very unfair. They play an essential role in maintaining standards and policing the electrical installation industry.
If you had written that in the late 80's or very early 90's I might have agreed with you, but the defined scope and subsequently the misnamed CPS have seen the industry taken to as low as it can go all lead by the NICEIC

Reply to New QS requirements in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock