uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss new socket regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mr al

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

hi folks
ive bought a semi detached house, and i need to install a couple of sockets. the house is timber framed, and on the shared wall i cut a hole to take a flush socket box. the wall is made up of 3 layers of plasterboard. behind the plasterboard is a void, with what i presume is next doors wall, again plasterboard.
the question is, am i allowed to cut these holes into this wall ?
thanks

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
R

rumrunner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi,
Its your house ,cut holes anywhere you like,you could even fit a little spy camera so you can watch if you want ,do anything you wanna do ,just have fun doing it,:)
atvbitwww

M

mr al

hello mate thanks for the reply.
i was worried about fire, noise regs etc.
i never thought about the spy camera though. do you think spying on two pensioners would be worth it ?i mean naked wrinkled bone rattling in their lounge :eek:

R

rumrunner

Yeah, sorry i didnt think about fire,someone more sensable than me should be able to answer your question,i dont do that sort of work myself so i dont know what the regs are,
if it was me id do it anyway ,but you cant be too carefull
atvbitwww

A

alex

we've rewired house's similar to your and chopped into the wall to find next doors cables coming down.

we have also wired a row of terraced house's with a brick wall at one end of the terrace and another brick wall at the other end. every wall in between were stud walls.

M

mr al

cheers alex
the previous owner had a single socket installed in this wall upstairs, and one downstairs.
the house didnt have any sockets fitted in this wall when originally built.
i was just worried about sound and fire risks.

S

Shakey

hello mate thanks for the reply.
i was worried about fire, noise regs etc.
i never thought about the spy camera though. do you think spying on two pensioners would be worth it ?i mean naked wrinkled bone rattling in their lounge :eek:
Building regs apply, as they do with most work in houses (electrical or not)

of Particualr interest to your situation:

Document A: structure (possibly)
Document B: fire (if you are removing any fire retardent materials or breaking a fire barrier)
Document E:sound insualtion (if you are destroying/removing any)

and of course Part P!

the approved documents to the building regs are freely available online;)

Reply to new socket regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Top Bottom