Discuss No cpc on lighting and no neutral continuity on kitchen ring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,
I recently replaced an old rewirable fuse board for metal split load rcd board. However on testing prior to replacement I noted that one of the lighting circuits doesn’t have a cpc. I’ve put this in the EIC for the new board that no cpc for lights, advised client that needs rewiring and advise against metal fittings accessories etc,is this the right course of action to take? They do already have metal fittings on this circuit, Is rcd protection enough to cover this? Also the kitchen ring has no continuity on the neutral conductor, I’ve had all the accessories off to find it but can’t, I’m assuming the break maybe in a buried joint box as the kitchen is an old extension. What’s the best course of action to take regarding this please?
Thanks

You should at the very least removed the metal fittings before energising the circuit after the board swap. You have now left a potentially dangerous situation live and provided a certificate for it.

Likewise with the broken neutral conductor, this should have been rectified before being energised.

If you have replaced a consumer unit you should know the answers to those questions!
An RCD is not considered as a catch-all, get you out of jail card. The client should not have any metal fittings in that circuit.

Re the ring. You should identify where the break is and split the ring into two radials with a 20A MCB on each radial. Or identify between which two sockets the break has occurred and run a new length of cable bypassing the problem.

Yes I know, I live in an ideal world …

Hi All,
I recently replaced an old rewirable fuse board for metal split load rcd board. However on testing prior to replacement I noted that one of the lighting circuits doesn’t have a cpc. I’ve put this in the EIC for the new board that no cpc for lights, advised client that needs rewiring and advise against metal fittings accessories etc,is this the right course of action to take? They do already have metal fittings on this circuit, Is rcd protection enough to cover this? Also the kitchen ring has no continuity on the neutral conductor, I’ve had all the accessories off to find it but can’t, I’m assuming the break maybe in a buried joint box as the kitchen is an old extension. What’s the best course of action to take regarding this please?
Thanks
Muzza115 you have replaced the CU correct? I would have tested prior to changing the board, any faults found, that couldn't be fixed easlily, then report to the customer that you can't change the board until the wiring faults have been rectified, charge for your time so far. Well that's what I would do, looks like your mistake was to swap the board anyway, imo. See DPGs post

agree with above posts.faults should be found and rectified before changing CU. problem is customer won't want to pay. get jack the lad from the local pub to bodge it. as long as it works, who cares.

I have noted on the EIC that these need rectifying. And the client is a family friend who will listen to my advice. I was also going to use this job to show NICEIC inspector for domestic installer, as is the only one close enough that fits the criteria Would you advise that I do these remedials before the inspection, will he out right tell me to do one or accredit me once I prove the remedials are done? Thanks

I have noted on the EIC that these need rectifying. And the client is a family friend who will listen to my advice. I was also going to use this job to show NICEIC inspector for domestic installer, as is the only one close enough that fits the criteria Would you advise that I do these remedials before the inspection, will he out right tell me to do one or accredit me once I prove the remedials are done? Thanks

This matters not. You can't just not comply with the regs and say you informed the customer, and it's up to them to book rectifications in.

Not sure Muzza what the assessor will say, but posts 4, 5 and 6 say it all. Like I said your mistake was to swap the board in the first place without recyifying the faults, may be if you explaine your error you could get lucky, sorry Mate just sying like it is. Good luck anyway.

too late, youre going to jail

No cpc on lighting and no neutral continuity on kitchen ring main-qimg-57230a16c2dd13401881614523b25690-c - EletriciansForums.net

I wouldn't be issuing an EIC with those issues ..................

ALL my CU estimates include this caveat:

"NB: If problems are detected during the fuseboard change additional work may be required. Such issues and associated costs will be discussed with you, prior to being implemented"

Never had this challenged, never been refused the go ahead to fix issues.

On the point of the no earth in a lighting CPC these are worth reading:

Best Practice Guides - https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/electrical-professionals/best-practice-guides/

In this specific case its the first one you need to download and read thoroughly

Its a good way to learn and if you don't heed this advice and use this install to be assessed by a scheme, you will no doubt fail.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.

How would an RCD protect against an earth fault when there's no earth path on the lighting circuit?

Strangely I've done fault finding on a lighting circuit (no CPC) which was tripping a RCD ...................

Mice had chewed completely through a switch drop cable, including the copper and the connection was "making" as a spark! - and when it sparked the RCD tripped..

Reply to No cpc on lighting and no neutral continuity on kitchen ring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock