Discuss No cpc on lighting and no neutral continuity on kitchen ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cheers Gavin. I don’t get precious about constructive criticism. I kind of expected what the response to the post would be.

Hi Murdoch 100Amp BS7671. Was 25mm already to meter from fuse. I upgraded to 25mm from 16mm load side of meter. Main Earth already 16mm, bonding to gas and water already 10mm.

Agreed. Can’t see the point of upgrading half of the supply. Dangerous also.

Disagree 100%

there is no way any normal residence in the UK is ever going to pull 84 amps long enough to burn out the tails.

You can use the maximum load to justify not upgrading and be VERY careful removing seals from the meter.

Disagree 100%

there is no way any normal residence in the UK is ever going to pull 84 amps long enough to burn out the tails.

You can use the maximum load to justify not upgrading and be VERY careful removing seals from the meter.
wash your mouth out with soap... removing seals from a meter... as if anyone would contemplate that.... oops, seal fairy just whisprered in my lug hole.

would that not get pulled in an assessment though?
No as cutting a seal off would be classed as criminal damage. There's a lot of risk involved in pulling a DNO fuse hence the reason why they like to charge us vast amounts of money to do it for us.

No as cutting a seal off would be classed as criminal damage. There's a lot of risk involved in pulling a DNO fuse hence the reason why they like to charge us vast amounts of money to do it for us.

Depends on the DNO; SSE allow removal of their main fuse by sparkies in a scheme, not Stroma 'cos they don't charge enough!

Verify your DNO policy OP.

One option as a temporary measure with the N break would be to reduce the OCPD rating to 20a leaving the circuit as it is. An explanation could be provided on the EIC that the circuit has been protected from overload and investigation and repair will be carried out at a later date on the clients instruction.
If it was not practical to fix before the NIC visit thats what I'd do.

Thanks Wirepuller,
That’s something worth considering as time isn’t on my side. Do you think that would satisfy the assessor?
Cheers
i'd think that would be OK as you would have shown that you'd done everything possible to minimise the risks, and that it's the customer who has the final say on whether he's prepared to pay for a permanent fix. but get it on paper.

Do you know which sockets/outlets the break is between? as if you intend to change the protective device to 20A the NICEIC will take a dim view of the live being left as a ring you will need to test as two radials below earth loop limit. The loading, diversity and distribution of
the sockets would be a factor especially as it is feeding the kitchen.

The kitchen actually has two rings to it. As is an old extension and assuming from when this was done. I haven’t established which outlets the break is between yet.

The most common reason for a "break" in a ring is a lose connection at a socket or fused spur

Shouldn't take long to locate.......

Reply to No cpc on lighting and no neutral continuity on kitchen ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net