Discuss No Neutral Wire? Photo. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Trilby

DIY
Reaction score
I took off my old ceiling rose in my garage to put up new lights and noticed that the loop in has two live wires and no neutral, I'm new to this so want to improve my understanding.
Where the two earths are sheathed together this is the switch and loop in, the wire with two lives is the loop in. The other wire hanging is the loop out for the utility. Why would there be two lives and no neutral? Cheers
No Neutral Wire? Photo. 20201018_151911 - EletriciansForums.net

It has been used, or should be used for the switch drop. One red into the live loop the other the live return for the light. Look in the switch it will probably be there.

The wire with 2 reds is a live, and switched live. This will go to the switch at the door.
The other 2 cables are live and neutral.

Best to take a photograph before disconnecting, and mark the cables with a marker pen so you know what goes back where.

What are you putting up instead of the rose? You'll find many light fittings do not have a "loop" terminal and you'll have to supply your own. This is just a permanently live feed, and does not connect to the load of the light at all.

As above. Check the switch position does indeed have 2 reds....
Although....
This being a garage, some DIYer may have just used whatever cable was at hand, and you might find its all botched up elsewhere in the circuit.

Cheers - had another look and yes it is the switch with two lives. Followed the cables wrong! I'm putting up a standard spot light so was trying to figure out how to set up the terminal blocks.

The wire with 2 reds is a live, and switched live. This will go to the switch at the door.

Best to take a photograph before disconnecting, and mark the cables with a marker pen so you know what goes back where.

What are you putting up instead of the rose? You'll find many light fittings do not have a "loop" terminal and you'll have to supply your own. This is just a permanently live feed, and does not connect to

What are you putting up instead of the rose? You'll find many light fittings do not have a "loop" terminal and you'll have to supply your own. This is just a permanently live feed, and does not connect to the load of the light at all.

As above. Check the switch position does indeed have 2 reds....
Although....
This being a garage, some DIYer may have just used whatever cable was at hand, and you might find its all botched up elsewhere in the circuit.
Would you know how I can tell which wire is the switched live? Regretting not taking that photo now!

Doesn't matter which one of the reds you use from the switch drop cable but ideally the permanent live from the loop in should be the one connected to Com at the switch. It will work which ever one you use.

Reply to No Neutral Wire? Photo. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock