Discuss Old Wylex Board in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

londonelec

I have a job where a customer wants me to test the whole installation but does not want to upgrade it to Dual RCD 17th edition and this board is an old wylex board with the later type MCB's added.

I have to add some lights but they are already in place just need to change them from pendants to something fancy maybe ?

I am not doing anything major but they want a cert and i am not sure if i can cert this board now the 17th edition is in place because normally people accept the regs and have a new board fitted and i cert it.

Can anyone tell me what to do in this situation ?

Thank you.

Please excuse the iffy typing just got back from the pub! A PIR is just an inspection of what is there not what should be there to current instructions. Report what you see (list of inspection) with what you measure (schedule of results) and give your, or a guided opinion, on that. old mcbs might do it, don't write them off, they just aren't up to modern scratch. If you're only changing fittings not in a special area, as long as you're not breaking current regs, I think , change away!! If they're metal bodied and not double insulated they must be earthed, apart from that off you go!! BUT if you test the whole of the install if anything doesn't come up to par with pre -energised tests I would refuse to do any more until that is rectified and charge him for your time.He or she has got you in to test what he considers a safe install ( refusing the educated offer of an upgrade indicates an acceptance that all is safe to installation standards be they 16 15 ) best of British!Be careful out there

Thank you i thought it was OK to test its just normally people accept that the 17th edition boards are safer and want them installed.

The wiring looks a little tatty in the CU but i will tidy it up but there is nothing that stands out as dangerous on my first glance but the test will tell me everything. But one thing there is no existing schedule so cannot compare i can just give my Periodic Inspection.

Make sure that he agrees that all you are doing is testing the install not ensuring that it meets with current regs. As I said , give him an inspection cert and a schedule of inspections after he's paid you . Job's a good'un!

Reply to Old Wylex Board in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock