Discuss On small jobs charging for cable in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

My apologise, i didn't explain it was never a fixed price, i was called and asked to replace 4 down lights, they already had the downlights, so not supplied by myself.

In that case I can see why the customer reacted in the way they did ...

I mainly do light commercial for a handful of clients, if I need cable a reel gets charged to that job regardless if its 1m or 100m.

I don't otherwise charge for cable, within reason.

Never had a complaint.

I can see domestic being a right PITA using this approach.

I'd double and VAT purchase price/meter and charge on a meter used basis.

Or you can suggest your customer goes to the nearest wholesalers and tries to get the meterage required and work out the cost for themselves.

I'm gonna start and charge an extra 5p to install a light fitting, to cover the cost of 2 screws I'll supply to do the job. If 2 red wall plugs needed that's another 4p.

I'm gonna start and charge an extra 5p to install a light fitting, to cover the cost of 2 screws I'll supply to do the job. If 2 red wall plugs needed that's another 4p.

Around 15 years ago I worked for a small maintenance company that would itemised it’s invoices like this...

Absolutely everything was itemised, and I mean everything

Even down to sleeving by the inch

I charge for everything, every wago, every meter of cable etc, etc, in fact I keep a job sheet and write everything on it. However I do tell my customers I will charge any extras at cost.

It’s my cable, and the customer has to pay for; I’m not a registered charity. Whether it’s shown on the invoice or added to the labour costs or something else. They ain’t getting it for free.

It’s alright for those of you, who have bigger companies and have probably already charged another customer for that reel of cable, and therefore feel ashamed of yourselves charging someone else, for something already paid for.

Us minnows have had that reel of cable, sat in the van weeks, burning a hole in our pockets.

I had a similar job recently to replace 6 down lights and found some damaged/short cables, before I replaced it, I explained to the customer that this would come under a charge of 'sundries' on the final invoice. But I always state a price for sundries on my quotes, with a caveat of 'any damaged, short cabling that may need replacing, that wasn't seen at the quote stage will be chargeable'

So how much is a fair price to charge for a few metres of 1.5mm

£5 , £10 ?

For 1 meter...
How much do you pay for 100m?
Divide that price by 100 and then double that figure. That should seem fair.

Reply to On small jobs charging for cable in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock