Discuss One of three lighting rings stopped working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

willidh

Hi All

Just moved into a new home last month and we're discovering all the weird things that other people do to their houses and a number of faults.

The lounge has three rings of halogen spotlights in the ceiling on dimmers. A few days ago one of the dimmers stopped working - the on/off switch stopped clicking. I purchased a replacement and fitted it but the lights on that ring still didn't turn on.

I checked that the new dimmer worked OK by temporarily using it to replace one of the working dimmers - and it works fine.

So I then measured the voltage across the live and ground wires. Nothing!

That was quite surprising so I checked the voltage across the other two pairs of live+ground and I get around 210V.

So I was wondering where I should start looking next - given that all the wires are in the walls, I don't relish the idea of taking the house apart! I'm really hoping there isn't some dodgy wiring behind a wall or ceiling somewhere unreachable.

Cheers,

Danny

Thanks for your reply Welchyboy.
I was hoping to eliminate the simple stuff before having to call in an expert (such as replacing the broken dimmer).
So any helpful advice on other checks I can perform would be appreciated.

Assuming the job was not lashed in by a diy fan (which it may very well have been)faulty cabling in the wall will be unlikely

Firstly,the most obvious problem are the circuits on seperate fuses/mcbs
How was the wiring constructed ? Do you have neutrals at the dimmers or a junction box in the ceiling space with live and switch returns at the dimmers ?
Was the earth presence confirmed at the dimmer for the voltage reading to be valid ?

This is the type of fault that requires on the job info and I suspect you will not get much help to assist you,fault finding via a keyboard can be nigh on impossible

Reply to One of three lighting rings stopped working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock