Discuss opinions sought on the TIS MFT PRO in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
They got this new tester behind the counter at CEF, its a fancy looking MFT that says it does power quality analysis. Heres a link to the blurb.
So I haven't had any experience with TIS gear, to me the red and black makes it look a bit UniT MeterM8 ish but close up the thing looks quite good. Made in Italy. It's so new there are no reviews on the net, but there is one for sale half price at cash converters on ealing broadway.
Now I have a hankering to know what harmonic s to the 25th look like.
Should I keep on saving for a proper PQA. What does the wizdom of the mass mind have to say on the subject of TIS and fancy testers.

They got this new tester behind the counter at CEF, its a fancy looking MFT that says it does power quality analysis. Heres a link to the blurb.
So I haven't had any experience with TIS gear, to me the red and black makes it look a bit UniT MeterM8 ish but close up the thing looks quite good. Made in Italy. It's so new there are no reviews on the net, but there is one for sale half price at cash converters on ealing broadway.
Now I have a hankering to know what harmonic s to the 25th look like.
Should I keep on saving for a proper PQA. What does the wizdom of the mass mind have to say on the subject of TIS and fancy testers.
Dunno looks good but why especially when you make spelling mistakes etc in your own promotion up to the 25! ? Maybe the 25th! ? And a hareness for hands free operation what’s that then? Most online scams can be spotted with poor grammar and bad spelling maybe they are good but if they can’t get their own website right maybe not:rolleyes: ps I’ve had tis test lamps for about 10 years now even ran them over with the van and they are still superb...

I asked for opinions so no need to be sorry Buzz.
My trusty megger has been retired since the casing started coming apart after a nasty fall.
tis test lamp rugged and still superb after 10 years, cheers MFS

I asked for opinions so no need to be sorry Buzz.
My trusty megger has been retired since the casing started coming apart after a nasty fall.
tis test lamp rugged and still superb after 10 years, cheers MFS
I’m liking the features on this but I’d still buy a megger any day of the week though...

It is the power quality analysis features that interest me. I've been looking for a PQA to study on, but justifing the cost of a new one when it may not earn its keep for a while. I've been looking at the chauvin arnoux pel103 as well.
This TIS being an MFT , I could use it for regular installation and maintanance jobs as well as probing the harmonics on PV and LED arrays.
So half of the cost replaces number 2 meter which is a bit sad with its casing split open after jumping off the high steps.
I hope to meet the TIS rep soon and see if they will let me have a proper go on it.
But I have a nagging doubt, the blurb says
" Power quality analysis of single-phase or balanced 3 phase systems".
I'm thinking I might be more concerned about what is going on in unbalanced 3 phase systems.
Imagine what the the chief will say were I to say we really need one of these to be sure of complying with 313.1 or 551.5.2

Kewtech KEW6310
Fluke 435
Megger MPQ1000

My mate had a Bennelli 900, it was pretty good.

Last edited:
TIS pretend to be manufacturers of test equipment but basically they are just clever salespeople living on the back of other peoples designs and cheap imports. I find it somewhat misleading that they dont admit this. The instrument you are talking about is made by HT instruments in Italy and can be found here GSC60 tester or all electrical safety tests and Power Quality analysis | HT Instruments - https://www.ht-instruments.com/en/products/power-quality-analyzers/touch-screen-display/gsc60/

They just have it badged in their name, the rest of their range are poor quality Chinese imports that can be bought from this company 华盛昌 - http://www.cem-instruments.com/en/

There are only two UK manufacturers Megger and Fluke, the rest are sub standard immitations

Last edited:
TIS pretend to be manufacturers of test equipment but basically they are just clever salespeople living on the back of other peoples designs and cheap imports. I find it somewhat misleading that they dont admit this. The instrument you are talking about is made by HT instruments in Italy and can be found here GSC60 tester or all electrical safety tests and Power Quality analysis | HT Instruments - https://www.ht-instruments.com/en/products/power-quality-analyzers/touch-screen-display/gsc60/

They just have it badged in their name, the rest of their range are poor quality Chinese imports that can be bought from this company 华盛昌 - http://www.cem-instruments.com/en/

There are only two UK manufacturers Megger and Fluke, the rest are sub standard immitations

Gentlemen just to answer a few questions on here

1st of all TIS gear isn’t from China and bought from CEM we wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole, that’s who the likes of Dialog use

Secondly the TIS MFT Pro is a HT Italia Product and we’ve never hidden from that fact why would we it’s the Number 1 selling MFT Tester in Europe and our sells any Megger and Fluke so we’re proud of this.

Thirdly anyone that’s up on the 18th Edition will know there’s a New Amendment coming that require measurement of Volt Drop and Power Harmonics, the MFT Pro is the ONLY MFT Tester that has this capability

Steve I met one of your reps recently who gave me an idea of the prices; TBH for the price I'd rather go for a better known brand.
I appreciate they have a touch screen and might do things which other brands don't do, and the software is upgradeable so they can potentially do anything, but in the vast majority of situations I just need something which is going to do the required tests so I can write them down on a form.

Same with some of your other products, for instance a voltage tester which tests capacitance (something a domestic or commercial electrician rarely tests) for a similar price to the Fluke equivalent, and a network tester which will check a BNC cable but not RJ11.

I like that your company is pioneering new ideas, but for me to buy into an unknown brand I'd need substantial price incentives.

HT Italia will never be the top selling brand in Europe fact, Megger and Fluke have that market wrapped up. HT Italia testers have been around for years, they are slow inaccurate and unreliable. Electricians like Megger for its simplicity and reliability, many think Fluke is over complicated and hard to use , the HT Italia products are not user friendly for the type of everyday electrician who can’t be bothered to read a manual.

I still say TIS mislead the market with unsubstantiated claims about the quality of the products, they are great salesmen because they sell an inferior brand well but that is as far as it goes. Most of the other products are CEM or equivalent Chinese imports despite the posts above or maybe CEM copied the TIS1850 , I think not somehow

Multifunction Installation Tester with Bluetooth | CEF - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4182038-multifunction-installation-tester-with-bluetooth

DT-6650 - http://www.cem-instruments.com/en/Product/detail/id/912

Could you enlighten us with some more technical information as to how the meter calculates volt drop without the user needing to input cable type and length of the cable in the circuit under test or is the meter an expensive calculator

None of the 18th edition changes are pertinent to test equipment it is just another sales slant like Di-Log advertising the 9083P as the only 17th edition tester when in fact there was no change in test meter requirements between 16th and 17th edition.
It is a slant so that any electrician who is easily fooled will panic and buy one,the market initially got flooded with those 9083P meters and basically they were a pile of poo, I do agree with Steve Heyes post above on that.Do you work for TIS or CEF by any chance

Looks like it does everything while still looking fancy but very expensive id stick to fluke or megger instead for reliability

None of the 18th edition changes are pertinent to test equipment it is just another sales slant like Di-Log advertising the 9083P as the only 17th edition tester when in fact there was no change in test meter requirements between 16th and 17th edition.
It is a slant so that any electrician who is easily fooled will panic and buy one,the market initially got flooded with those 9083P meters and basically they were a pile of poo, I do agree with Steve Heyes post above on that.Do you work for TIS or CEF by any chance

Hi Brian, I own TIS So I know where all my testers are bought from, yes you are correct we made a mistake years ago when we launched the TIS 1850 and it was the only product we bought from CEM which is why we won’t buy anything else from them, HT Italia are the number one selling instrument in Europe both Megger and Fluke can’t crack the market, HT Italia have come a long way back in the day again you were right but things have changed, we’ve tested EVERY MFT on the market and apart from the MFT1741 all the rest are not accurate the new confidence loop test is good but we have that on the MFT Pro, so Repeatable Loop Tests are now very accurate, with ours you get the PSC, PFC, L-PE and L-N result on the push of one button you will then get all 6 RCD Test Results on a full new Auto mode, you will probably know the 18th Edition are now writing an amendment 1 check this out as it asks for measurement of Volt Drop and Power Harmonics which is why we’ve put it on the tester, if you would like information on this I can email you know problem, if you would also like any more info on my company I’d be happy to help.

Steve, but you promoted the CEM meter as the best in the market too when launched and there are still many people out there who have paid good money and are struggling with them, if they are so bad you should have recalled and refunded every one bought.

I can only comment on past experience with HT Italia working with a wide range of their products over a 40 year period, I am semi retired now so am not as on the ball as I used to be but I have seen your tester at a show and looked at it online and while it may or may not be OK for industrial applications it is way over complicated for domestic electricians with functions that they do not require.

What are you expecting a domestic electrician to do with the harmonics function?

I still can't see how volt drop can be accurately measured without inputting the cable type and knowing the length of cable in the circuit. If you know this it is a simple calculation anyway there is no need for it to be measured.

Reply to opinions sought on the TIS MFT PRO in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock