Discuss Paye tax reclaim in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

[h=3]Advice from 1 minute of HMRC searching:

If you're an employee[/h]Tell HMRC why you think you've paid too much tax. They may already have everything they need to check your claim. If not, they'll tell you what information they need. Any refund due for this year will be included with your wages. HMRC will send you any refund due for last year.

HM Revenue & Customs: Reclaiming tax if you've overpaid through your job

If the reason you have over paid tax is due to business expenses and you have not been recompensed by your employer, then you will have to make a self assessment for each of the relevent years.

Did you know that if you have to wear a uniform (even just a t shirt with a logo on it) for work that a fixed rate has been negotiated with the revenue for workers in the electrical industry? If you claim it can be backdated as well.
Google [FONT=&quot]EIM32712 for more info or send me a pm with your email and I will forward a copy letter for you to use.
This doesn't just apply to electricians, anyone who has to wear a uniform.
[/FONT]

I don't know that it applies only to those who have to wear a uniform.
I was under the impression that it applied to all workers that incur a laundry cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are agreed rates for certain people who wear uniforms. As I understand it laundry costs for persons not covered by the publication referred to may be negotiated but this is on an individual basis. This is for employed persons, self employed should already be claiming as a business expense

There are agreed rates for certain people who wear uniforms. As I understand it laundry costs for persons not covered by the publication referred to may be negotiated but this is on an individual basis. This is for employed persons, self employed should already be claiming as a business expense
I see, it's a bit like the mileage allowance for if you use your own vehicle.
I asume you would have to claim it off your employer?

No!
I first came across this for my wife. She works for the NHS and (because of MRSA etc) is obliged to wash her work clothing at a certain temperature. It transpired that she could claim an allowance for this in her PAYE coding - she was also entitled to a stockings allowance! Somehow I ended up at the Revenue [FONT=&quot]EIM32712 publication which detailed nationally agreed allowances for many different types of workers who have to wear uniforms. What the definition of a uniform is exactly I didn't bother to find out I just applied to her tax office for this allowance and for it to be backdated. I then applied for my son as electricity workers are specifically mentioned and he has to wear a Western Power t shirt. Both got approximately £120 of extra allowances in their coding plus a refund for the last 5 years. I think one of them may have said thank you!
It is purely an increase in your tax code (you pay less tax) and not a claim from your employer.
I will gladly forward a copy of the letter to anyone who wants it but they will have to pm me with their email address as I don't think I can do it via the forum.
[/FONT]

Unless I am reading it wrong...
Sparky £60, Joiner £140, Plumber £120.

The numbers seem all wrong to me. A joiner gets sawdust and that about it, a spark can get just about anything from chasing out walls to the dust in existing factory walls. A plumber may need to deal with pee and poo at times and if you get that on your clothes it may not be the most pleasant!

Just over a quid a week.

Reply to Paye tax reclaim in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net