Discuss Plug socket in the garden and external lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

McGraw

Hi there.

We have just finished the majority of our garden and would like to have an external electrical source and some lights.

My intention is to fit the external socket on the wall with an existing double socket on the other side. The existing internal double socket is in the boiler cupboard in the kitchen.

Can I have some advice please as I've read loads of stuff?

-I have read about flying earths. A mate with electrical experience says I won't need this.
-Do I need an RCD fitting somewhere?
-The external socket is waterpoof but will be exposed. Does this cause any issues?
-How do I wire up the external lights?

Thanks very much.

definately need rcd protection as its going to be used for portable equipment and outside hard to say how to wire external lights with no other info.

Hi there.

We have just finished the majority of our garden and would like to have an external electrical source and some lights.

My intention is to fit the external socket on the wall with an existing double socket on the other side. The existing internal double socket is in the boiler cupboard in the kitchen. Notifiable:)

Can I have some advice please as I've read loads of stuff?

-I have read about flying earths. A mate with electrical experience says I won't need this.
Don't suppose you could tell us what they are - save me googling it:)

-Do I need an RCD fitting somewhere?
Did your mate with 'electrical experience' not know:)
Yes, you will.

-The external socket is waterpoof but will be exposed. Does this cause any issues?
Depends on the IP rating of the socket and how it's installed.:)

-How do I wire up the external lights?
A bit like 'How long is a piece of string':)
Thanks very much.

And, as already stated, all of this work is notifiable to building control and needs to be completed by a 'competent' person with knowledge of earthing systems and special installations/locations.

Wellcome, by the way:D

I *think* a flying earth means the earth strap that would go between a normal back box, front plate and earth on the supply cable.

think wayne has said it all. competent/qualified electrician required. notifiable work. tested in accordance with BRB and building regs. if ytou want to do it yourself, you will have to notify building control, let them appoint a third party electrician to test/inspect, about £250. so your better off paying a qualified electrician in the first place.

Reply to Plug socket in the garden and external lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net