Discuss Price To Replace Board And Rewire in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Leigh88

Hi,
How much would an electrician charge for the following work please? It's for a 3 bed terraced house in Romford.

Old fuse box changed to a new 12 way one.
Earth bonding done throughout
All new sockets in the house
And an outside light installed in the garden.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
How much would an electrician charge for the following work please? It's for a 3 bed terraced house in Romford.

Here's a link to a Which survey of typical prices for common jobs done in 2012 Electricians: how much should you pay? - Which? Local

Prices will have gone up since then especially the consumer unit change, and prices will vary quite a bit from region to region.
As already said, get a couple of quotes from local electricians for your best indicator.

Hi Leigh, welcome to the forum.
So its pretty much a re-wire.
How many sockets are being fitted?
Is the house vacant while the work is being carried out?
Is your electrician going to inform the relevant people or are you, with regards to Part P?
What have you been quoted?

Hi,

I would charge 5 grand cash

Hi Leigh, welcome to the forum.
So its pretty much a re-wire.
How many sockets are being fitted?

Is the house vacant while the work is being carried out?
Is your electrician going to inform the relevant people or are you, with regards to Part P?
What have you been quoted?

Could be just a change of accessories being asked for rather than circuits rewired, not enough info from the OP yet.

Hi All, thank you for your kind replies.
Basically, a family member of mine is a qualified electrician and has his part p also. The property is vacant at the moment but I have a really old fuse box which needs to be replaced with an rcd board, earth bonding to my gas and water pipes, and all the socket faces in the house replaced from metal to plastic ones there's about 12 of those.
Oh and about 6 light sockets replaced, plus my old flood light in my garden replaced with a new one.
He has quoted £400 for labour, parts he can get for next to nothing. I just wondered if this was a reasonable price?
Many thanks

Could be just a change of accessories being asked for rather than circuits rewired, not enough info from the OP yet.

Good point. Not much point in commenting further then until the OP gets back with more info.

Sorry Leigh!

As the others have said, there's just too many other variables to be able to hazard a guess. Plus working out a quote when you know you're not even going to get the job would be a bit of a bummer :-(

I would try the site that Andy has suggested and again bear in mind prices have gone up since then.

Hi,

As stated, how long is a piece of string.

But here's some very very very very rough ballpark figures.

New board £450-550. Why 12 way? Are there 12 circuits (quite a lot for a small house). Also work to existing circuits may need some attention.
Bonding £200
Replacing customer supplied socket fronts £100
Light: where's it going and is a supply there...

Get 2-3 sparks round to quote is the only option. The prices I mention could be off by some margin. And don't necessarily opt for the cheapest quote, it's often better to pay £100 more overall for a better job in my view.

£2000 to do the job + £3000 for getting to romford and back. :79:

The op as been in the modq waiting for approval of posts, so they did reply a couple of ours ago but I have only just logged in and seen it.
@ the op I would personally want at least £ 400 just for the board swap.

Basically, a family member of mine is a qualified electrician and has his part p also. The property is vacant at the moment but I have a really old fuse box which needs to be replaced with an rcd board, earth bonding to my gas and water pipes, and all the socket faces in the house replaced from metal to plastic ones there's about 12 of those.
Oh and about 6 light sockets replaced, plus my old flood light in my garden replaced with a new one.
He has quoted £400 for labour, parts he can get for next to nothing. I just wondered if this was a reasonable price?
Many thanks

If that's his price for a proper job with testing, certification, and building control notification I'd bite his hand off as he seems to be doing you an exceptionally cheap job, even at family rates.

Do verify the above is what you will be getting though as that price is so cheap I would usually associate it with the sort of board swap where it all gets connected up and then turned on with fingers in ears, no testing, no certs, no answering the phone when problems start.

Basically, a family member of mine is a qualified electrician and has his part p also.

Many thanks
How to tell about mates rates, I've sometimes been given a bottle of homemade parsnip wine as payment. You've seen the prices quoted, so £400 is not bad, just whether it's reasonable from a family member. If you can't do anything in return, then it's a good deal.

On the cheap side but two days labour at £200 a day plus materials doesn't sound far off in my view. Probably work out around £650 with the materials on top. As mates rates go I think that's about right. Hopefully it will pass the bang test!!

Many thanks

Do you mean he's stealing them...... :waving:

If that's his price for a proper job with testing, certification, and building control notification I'd bite his hand off as he seems to be doing you an exceptionally cheap job, even at family rates.

I would usually associate it with the sort of board swap where it all gets connected up and then turned on with fingers in ears,

But how do you turn it on if your fingers are in your ears :ciappa:

Reply to Price To Replace Board And Rewire in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net